PDA

View Full Version : Can't find Knoppix filesystem, dropping to limited shell.

spurr
03-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Resolved this issue by adding nodma to boot line, as written, seems a little different than the syntax for most. Posting for the benefit of the forum, I had to use trial and error to get this figured out. This subject line is the error message received, should appear in search.

jjmac
03-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Howdy spurr,

Go on, be a sport and actually post the relevant bits.

The suspense is killing me, and that link took me to something unrelated as well.

Seems like a wiered way to solve a message like that though. Some sought of i/o error/missmatch i could understand ... but a fs ! ... Oh well, anythings possible i suppose :)

jm

spurr
03-16-2005, 11:06 PM
jm

I got this error when trying to boot the live cd, it would start booting then drop dead with the above error. The limited shell is very limited, as near as I can tell no commands work from it at all. I printed out the cheat codes and tried all of them (passed to the kernel at the boot line) that appeared related to the filesystem or that might prevent booting, then took one at a time out. Actually, there is another one that I had to enter sometimes, but not all the time: acpi=off. Don't know why the disk works sometimes without that one, but I have to have nodma to get it to work. In other linux os's I've entered ide=nodma, but that one was ignored by knoppix. But I've moved forward since the original post, which I wanted put in the forum in case someone else runs into trouble getting the live cd to boot up, I installed this to the hard drive. It works great, I really like it a lot, and the program apparently captured the required cheat codes since I don't have to use them to boot from the hdd. I used Fedora 2 on my main machine, doubled with w98 for my half-life game, and put knoppix on an old machine my daughter was trying to get rid of. This system works well with Suse, Mandrake and DSL without any trouble:

MB: Legend QDI P61440BX/B1 Brilliant -1
CPU: Intel PII, 400mhz, 512kb cache
Mem: 128MB
Nic: 3com, not yet used
Modem: Rockwell, not yet used, appears to be a rotten winmodem
Sound: Yamaha xg, YMF724F-V
Video card: ATI Radeon 7000