PDA

View Full Version : Broadband USB modem connectivity problems HELP

Bustamite
03-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Heya,

I need help configuring a usb modem from within Knoppix.
It is a 1mb broadband modem & it came from Wanadoo.
I can get Knoppix to pick up the modem & it recognises the make & what usb port it is on but i can't seem to configure it to connect to the internet.
Can this be done & if so can some-one help me try to configure it as i would like to ditch my use of Bin XP.
I still need Bin XP here as my partner uses it for her school work ( teacher )..

Modem is a SpeedTouch 330
Knoppix ver 3.7

P.S I think Knoppix Rules so far & this is the only snag i have had so far ...

Harry Kuhman
03-17-2005, 12:57 AM
.... usb port ...
I know this isn't the answer you are hoping for, but for numerous reasons I suggest that you get rid of the USB modem and get a real ethernet based modem. This will also allow you to use an inexpensive DSL/Cable router, which not only lets you run multiple computers on your Internet connection at once and forms the basis of a home network as well as taking care of all loggin in and PPPoE issues for you, but also provides a hardware firewall (a very important consideration for Windows users on a high speed connection). You might even find a friend who has an old ethernet DSL modem sitting around unused because they switched to higher speed cable (or maybe you could do that yourself and get an ethernet based modem that way). I know at least two friends who have ethernet DSL modems gathering dust.

drb
03-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Alternatively, download Kanotix 2005-1 - I've been using Kanotix for some time as it has the Speedtouch 330 PPPoATM in the Kanotix menu. Just follow the GUI to connect.

drb

Bustamite
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi peeps,

Thanx for your help guys on this but i was having a look through the forums & i came across this site

HOWTO: Speedtouch USb (Idiots guide, by an idiot!) in the networking forum on this site..

I will give it a go when i get home ( thank god its Friday so i will have all weekend to get the thing going without any interuption )..
Failing that i will try drb's mention of Kanotix ..

DRB - why Kanotix over Knoppix ??
Harry - i will look into an ethernet based modem soon - i just need a bit of time to get used to configuring linuxy type environments. I have a Sun Box at home as well as a 100mbit switch which i will be setting up into a small network like you say..

gadgerama
03-18-2005, 05:15 PM
If you can get the mgmt.o download to work, let me know willya?

Ta!

G

drb
03-18-2005, 09:42 PM
DRB - why Kanotix over Knoppix ??

Speedtouch 330 GUI was first reason. More frequent updates and bug fixes (almost forgotten what a bug is!) - excellent response from Kano, the compiler when you have problems (average response time seems to be about 5 minutes!). Smaller, more focused forum. More suited to HDD install.

drb