PDA

View Full Version : So Knoppix can't see my third HD.

dj_clawson
03-17-2005, 06:34 AM
I had an external Maxtor 200 giger that recently crashed with 130 gigs of used space on it. Someone recommended running Knoppix off a disk and using it to retrieve the files off the Maxtor. Now the problem is while I can get the files off the Maxtor, I can't get them on to the Western Digital 250 giger I just bought because Knoppix doesn't see it. There's no icon for it on the Desktop and no acknowledgement of it in the system, even though it is there and works just fine in Windows.

I need them both up and running at the same time so I can move those 130 gigs off the Maxtor and onto the WD. Or I just need another way to transfer the files using Knoppix. Anyone have a suggestion?

Shadda
03-17-2005, 07:21 AM
this should be in Hardware / Booting.

First off, have you looked for it under /mnt/ or /dev/hda# ?

Is it in fstab?

You may also look into seeing if knoppix even *supports* a harddrive that big. I don't know if it does or not.

OErjan
03-17-2005, 05:48 PM
knoppix supports MUCH larger hdd's, problem might be that the mainboard/controller might need a driver to see it.
by the way have you formated it?
MAKE CERTAIN THAT IT IS THE RIGHT DISK YOU ARE WOTRKING ON!!.
if you have not formated it you might open QTparted as root and do that, if it has no filesystem on it it wont be detected and mounted.
and again
MAKE CERTAIN THAT IT IS THE RIGHT DISK YOU ARE WOTRKING ON!!