PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown with image file and subsequent mounting fails

Waszszaf
03-17-2005, 08:51 AM
I have Knoppix 3.8 and created a system image (knoppix.img on /dev/hda1).

And I have apt-getted some software.

At shutdown, Knoppix says (sorry, but left margin ist cut off -- I've let it this way although I'm quite sure what characters are missing -- but better not invent something, eh?):

/pts unmounted
mount(pid2628) unmounted
nm2: Device or resource busy
d not unmount /KNOPPIX.img - trying /dev/loop0 instead
nt: /dev/loop0: not mounted
nt2: Device or resource busy

and hangs forever.

I have to push the reset button and on rebooting Knoppix finds the image file and I enter the password.

/home/knoppix mounted OK from /mnt/hda1/knoppix.img.
/usr/sbin/knoppix-image: line 193: 2502 Segmentation fault cp -a /etc/mtab /UNIONFS/etc/mtab 2>/dev/null

Can anyone help me? I'd very much like to use this feature.

robsa
03-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm having exactly the same problems. I'm fairly new to this so can't offer any help other than bumping the post back to the top of the list :wink:

I'm trying it on a USB keychain drive, by the way.

Robin

Waszszaf
03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
I've tried hard disk, USB stick and external USB disk, to no avail.

Sometimes it seems to be okay, but I haven't found a pattern when I get these problems and when not.

I'm quite surprised that almost nobody seems to experience this. Or does noone use persistent home/system?

shadowics
03-23-2005, 05:29 AM
I'm not an expert as far as Knoppix/Linux goes, but I've had Knoppix freeze up on me in the past and gotten a similar error when I tried to restart. After searching myself with no luck I went to trial and error, and found that if you boot without your home directory, create a knoppix config file of your "Personal configuration", then restart and specify both your corrupted home file and the config file at the boot prompt, it will 'repair' your home file and start up correctly.