PDA

View Full Version : Cannot surf Internet

hal8000
03-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Using knoppix 3.7, installed as a live CD, could surf Internet fine. Installed knoppix on my hard drive and I cannot surf the Internet, pages time out in knoqueror and I can only ping my router and local addresses. If I ping www.google.com I get unknown host??

Sounds like a dns problem I have an onboard Marvell ethernet adapter (Asus P4P800 motherboard).
Network setup uses a fixed IP and netmask of 192.168.254.197 / 255.255.255.0 Default gateway (router) is set at 192.168.254.254 My DNS names for my ISP are set in /etc/resolv.conf

lspci:
0000:02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 13)

I have set a host name but not domainname. Using a single computer connected to my router. I am running, SuSe,
Mandrake, FreeBSD , Ubuntu and Knoppix 3.7. I can browse in other systems but not knoppix. Thanks in advance for any help.

Harry Kuhman
03-18-2005, 12:19 AM
.... Installed knoppix on my hard drive .... If I ping www.google.com I get unknown host??

Sounds like a dns problem ..
There are plenty of reports of networking failing after a hard disk install, you might want to read through the forums a bit.

I don't know if it really sounds like a dns problem or not, unknown host isn't enough information. What happens if you ping 64.233.187.99 (www.google.com) or if you ping 66.220.1.171 (www.knoppix.net). If you can ping them by IP address but not by name then I'll agree that it sounds like a dns problem. Othewise it is not.

spottyrover
03-18-2005, 06:09 AM
I have the same problem
when 3.7 is installed to the hard drive it seems that only the root user has access to use the net.
Other users can dial in as in my case so slooowly :(
So in my case. How can I give access to other users

This seems to be your problem also.

fingers99
03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
when 3.7 is installed to the hard drive it seems that only the root user has access to use the net.
Other users can dial in as in my case so slooowly
So in my case. How can I give access to other users

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is, but I don't think it's the same (and you shouldn't hi-jack threads like this -- you'll get better responses by posting your own problem, yourself).

Anyway, have you tried editing /etc/group, making your users members of the dialout and dip groups?