PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard won't work after boot...

rmcastil
03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I've finally decided to begin my conversion over to Linux. It was suggested that I begin by using the Knoppix live boot. The main problem I have is after it loads into the OS the keyboard ceases to function. This is what I'm running

Dell Inspiron 1150
P4 2.66 GHZ
256 MB RAM
Win XP SP 2

I'm trying to use Knoppix 3.8 downloaded via Bittorrent through slashdot. I tried a couple of the cheatcodes but still no results, probably because I have no idea what they do! I suspect my bios may be part of the problem so I will try and update when I get home. I just wanted to see if anyone else encountered this type of error after the OS loads.

rmcastil
03-18-2005, 02:41 AM
it works now after using the boot command:

knoppix i8042.noacpi

Which finally gives me the ability to play with the linux but I still have no idea whats going on. According to the reply I dug this cheat command from it states "It looks like your box has a badly written DSDT table. Try booting with i8042.noacpi for now or try Bjorn's patch..." Would anyone like to enlighten a linux newb as to what that means???!!!

fpd
03-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Bjorn has a thread going here:

http://tigerdyr.wheel.dk/ctwm-archive/0036.html

Follow the "previous" and "next" links, and you will find his email address (ask him). It looks like he is writing code for BIOSs. (Google: Bjorn's patch)