PDA

View Full Version : Wi - Fi Knoppix?

Theridos
03-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Is there a easier way to connect to the Internet using the 802.11a/b bandwidth? I usally have to create an IP Address that no one is using in order to connect to the Internet. This process is very time consuming. If there is a better way to config IP Addresses that are not being used, please tell me. Also, can you sub-net Mask your IP address at all w/ knoppix?
Thanks,
Frustrated Student

Harry Kuhman
03-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Is there a easier way to connect to the Internet using the 802.11a/b bandwidth? I usally have to create an IP Address that no one is using in order to connect to the Internet. This process is very time consuming. If there is a better way to config IP Addresses that are not being used, please tell me. Also, can you sub-net Mask your IP address at all w/ knoppix?
Knoppix support for many of the wireless cards is not good, but it sounds like you migh be past this and actually have your card working. Generally a Knoppix system (including wireless) gets it's IP and related setting by DHCP. You shouldn't have to do any of the things you say you do. Are there things that you are not telling us? Is this your own router (and is so what make and model)? Do you have DHCP disabled for some strange reason? If you are trying to hack and steal service you'll find that most of the people here are not going to be be very supportive of that.

And why didn't you post this in Networking?

Dave_Bechtel
03-20-2005, 06:22 PM
--I'm interested in this as well... Just getting my feet wet with 802.11b, got the drivers compiled and the card is working, but I don't get a signal in my neighborhood. (Not trying to leech, just trying to get it working as proof of concept before going to a wireless cafe.)

--I can post the scripts I'm using and other details, if anyone can help.

Knoppix support for many of the wireless cards is not good, but it sounds like you migh be past this and actually have your card working. Generally a Knoppix system (including wireless) gets it's IP and related setting by DHCP. You shouldn't have to do any of the things you say you do. Are there things that you are not telling us? Is this your own router (and is so what make and model)? Do you have DHCP disabled for some strange reason? If you are trying to hack and steal service you'll find that most of the people here are not going to be be very supportive of that.

And why didn't you post this in Networking?

tom p
03-20-2005, 07:18 PM
--I'm interested in this as well... Just getting my feet wet with 802.11b, got the drivers compiled and the card is working, but I don't get a signal in my neighborhood. (Not trying to leech, just trying to get it working as proof of concept before going to a wireless cafe.)
Are you sure there is an active AP in your neighborhood that you should be able to see? (You won't see for example an AP not broadcasting its SSID; also there are factors that limit the range of a signal.)

Thomas

koaschten
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
check www.remote-security.org -> auditor is a knoppix derivate optimized for wi-fi

pureone
03-20-2005, 08:16 PM
if a ap is not boardcasting its essid doesnt mean your not see it, you just wont be able to see its essid thats all.

Dave_Bechtel
03-21-2005, 09:26 AM
--I get a DNS failure on that name; is that the right site?

check www.remote-security.org -> auditor is a knoppix derivate optimized for wi-fi

koaschten
03-21-2005, 08:28 PM
sry its www.remote-exploit.org my fault

thesailor
04-01-2005, 12:00 AM
I've been playing around too much and am getting a bit flustered on how to get the newly relesaed drivers for the centrino Intel Pro 2200 802.11g working with Auditor/Knoppix.... Any help or ideas is welcomed!

My setup I'd like to prove will work with Auditor - HP Laptop dv1175us (centrino) with built-in Intel Pro 2200

I found a sourcefore group developing linux drivers for centrinos
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

Any ideas?

rubic_cube
04-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Usually the process of assigning IP addresses is dynamic, the wireless router or AP would have the feature of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) enabled by default and any wireless client would have a legitimate IP address assigned from the wireless router.

I've had the same problem in Knoppix, in that an address is not assigned to me from the wireless router while I have a legitimate SSID and even with the wireless router set to default (no encryption, no MAC filtering etc).

If I set a legitimate IP address manually then I can associate with the wireless router. When I set that IP address I did not set the netmask, it was done automatically as a class C address.
I think you can set the netmask manually, look at man ifconfig for how you do it.

whoeverheis
04-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Hey sailor. For what it's worth I have my Gateway centrino/Intel Pro 2200 laptop working on 3.8. with no additional drivers needed. Just the usual wlan config.