PDA

View Full Version : installing without knoppix-installer

splittik
03-19-2005, 12:17 AM
I've been using knoppix for a while now and get a lot of operating systems on my computer because of hardware problems(corrupted ram etc.) but knoppix 3.6 works fine from the CD. Unfortunately, i can't install knoppix to my hard drive because it freezes when creating fstab and even if it does get passed it(which it hardly ever does) it still freezes a few seconds after on the next file. I've tried different settings but it still doesn't work.

I was wondering if there was a way to install knoppix or simply run it off the harddrive and to save my settings. I don't want to use
knoppix tohd="mnt/..." everytime i run knoppix and was wondering if knoppix would run alright if i simply loaded the iso image every time i ran it and saved my settings or if there was another way to manually install it to the hard drive.

jjmac
03-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Sorry about this post splittik.

I just gave a longish description on raw copying over the LiveCDs' ram image, but then realised that your not getting it to boot that far. So my comments would be useless. So i removed the post.

Have you checked for corruption with the iso itself ?, md5sum on the dload, or burning issues ?

You might be able to mount a pre-formated partition of size and try mounting as an iso fs, using the "loop" device, from one of your other installs. But if the iso itself is at issue, the same problem will likely arise there as well.

jm

splittik
03-19-2005, 04:35 PM
nevermind, i got knoppix 3.8 and successfully installed it on my hard drive. :D