PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Port on IBM TP 600E Not Detected

edoc
03-19-2005, 04:26 AM
I cannot set up my IBM ThinkPad 600E to print because Knoppix-KDE does
not see the parallel port.

I have tested the parallel port in IBM's "Easy Setup" BIOS menu and it says it is
OK but Knoppix-KDE fails to see it.

When I go into Control Center - Peripherals - Printer - Local Port Selection
only the USB ports appear to have URI's assigned.

Anyone seen this before and have any ideas how I might fix this, please?

Thanks! edoc

edoc
03-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Well, I did a little more searching and stumbled upon http://www.mepis.org/node/401
wherein which I found a reference to shutting off Quick Boot in the IBM Easy Setup
BIOS menu as one way to get sound to work.

So I shut it off and hey! I can access my parallel port!

No idea why this works and what else it may break but it resolves the problem du jour!

edoc

edoc
03-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Turning off the Quick Post fixed the parallel port problem but trashed the sound ... arghhhhh!

Sigh ... edoc

edoc
03-20-2005, 11:42 PM
In my continuing dialog with myself I must report that though Knoppix/KDE
appeared to recognize device:/dev/lp0 but nothing makes it to the printer.

Sure wish someone had some good ideas to get this working.

edoc

whell
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Mine post is simply one of empathy, since I seem to be having the same problem with Knoppix 3.7. I see lots of USB options when I attempt to install my printer, but the LPT port does not seems to be recognized. Glad I'm not alone.

For what its worth, Knoppix 3.4 and 3.6 are fine on my machine, and both recognize my printer and LPT port just fine.

Mine is not an IBM machine. I've got an Asus P2B motherboard. I've just flash updated the bios, but that did not solve the problem unfortunately.

In posting this, at least it will rise back to the top of the list, where I hope that someone will see/respond to our call for help!