PDA

View Full Version : Onboard sound works, PCI SB Audigy gets this error:

UDHA
03-19-2005, 09:44 AM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~udha_files/soundconfproblem.png

what can I do to stop this? are there some kind of write permissions set because I'm having trouble with ATi's linux drivers too, I did an alien on the rpm and that went fine, but doing a dpkg --install wasn't so successful, let me try it again and post the error:

root@risingedge:~# dpkg --install fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 109777 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx-4-3-0 (from fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package xlibmesa-gl
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb
root@risingedge:~#

I am using Knoppix 3.7

ecormier
03-20-2005, 12:57 PM
For the sound problem I'd try this:
1) "su" to root
2) "apt-get update"
3) "apt-get install module-assistant"
4) "module-assistant"
5) from the menu choose "UPDATE" then "PREPARE" then "SELECT"
6) check "ALSA"
7) from the new menu select "GET" then "BUILD" then "INSTALL"
that should get the right module in the right place (as long as you're using alsa....if you're not sure, and you use lilo to boot, you can always add (or check to see if it's already there) "alsa" as a boot param to your "/etc/lilo.conf" (but after you add the line to the file and save it, you MUST run "lilo" from the promt to install the new configuration

-Here's an example of one of the entries from my /etc/lilo.conf:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686
label="Linux-2.6.10"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-1-686
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce atapicd alsa splash"
read-only

Now, for your video drivers. I would assume it's not installing correctly because you're trying to overwrite a file from another package (I don't think debian lets you do that) just before you run:
dpkg --install fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb

try running:
apt-get remove xlibmesa-gl

(if that really messes things up and the install still doesn't work at least you can always "apt-get install xlibmesa-gl" to put it back)

Cheers
Eugene

---------
noob
---------

UDHA
03-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Thankyou for the help, I let you know how it works out, for now I've discovered that I can plug my speakers into the onboard to get sound, but I'd preffer my audigy.