PDA

View Full Version : Samba with XPsp2 or Norton problem Knoppix 3.7

birdman
03-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I was previously using, sucessfully, a Samba connection to recover data from a windows drive that corrupted.

Data on machine A running knoppix/samba => working from an XP machine [B] across a network.

Fastforward about 1 week and I've installed service pack 2 on machine B as well as Notron Systemworks.

Now I try to pull info from this problem drive on A accross the net but I can't see machine A from machine B on the network.

I've disabled the XP firwall on B and also the Norton Firewall[I think] on B. But still nothing.

Machine C is running Win2k and can see and access A & B both just fine.

I appreciate any suggestions.

I'm a self taught computer enthusiast so you won't offend me if you reply in extensive detail. I'm not very familiar with Norton and have only been using knoppix for a couple weeks; just to recover this data.

Thanks again.

PS. from what I recall, the first few times I was using Samba, once it was running I simply opened MyNetworkPlaces on the XP machine and "voila", knoppix was there. I only had to enter the password to connect. Recently, its not so simple. During one approach, I was able to "browse" in order to add a network place and actually see the workgroup and knoppix, but none of the drives. The knoppix drives aren't just showing up in my network places automatically like they had before.

birdman
03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
OK....so I threw my hands up and just uninstalled the Norton program [Systemworks Premier 2005]. Windows firewall is off and I'm able to see and access the Knoppix drive just fine. :D

I guess something in Nortons was preventing it. I thought I turned everything off in Norton, but maybe not; or maybe it wouldn't matter anyway. :?:

It seems the problem isn't with SP2. :oops:

:idea: Guess I'll wait to re-install until after I've recovered everything.