PDA

View Full Version : Westell Wirespeed with USB connection not detecting

Arcane
03-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Just as the topic says, Knoppix doesn't seem to even support it. I don't have an Ethernet card or Network card, so I'm stuck using USB, as well.

And I also have a sound card that Alsaconf shows as "not supported".

Harry Kuhman
03-20-2005, 08:03 PM
.....I don't have an Ethernet card or Network card, so I'm stuck using USB, .....
I don't know about your modem, but if it suppots ethernet as well as usb then I would strongly suggest that you get an ethernet card. These cards are very cheap, often $5 or less, sometimes even free after rebate (I usually keep a couple of free ones around so that I have them when the need arrises). You would also need a normal ethernet cable, which is also very inexpensive, just 2-3 bucks if you find it at a fair price (although, just like usb cables, there are some places that will try to rip you off for $20 for this inexpensive item).

One other very inexpensive item that I would also suggest is a DSL/cable router. These too have come way down in price, my first Linksys cost me jst over $100 for a wired version about 5 years ago, but today routers can be had for as little as $10 after rebate (CompUSA has a Netgear wireless one (which also includes 4 wired ports) for $10 after rebate this week). If you do go this route get a wired card for te Knoppix system, Knoppix wireless support is not good and certainly not something you want to do as a first step. The router will give you greater ease of use (no need to run PPPoE software on a DSL account, just boot Knoppix from CD and you're on the Internet) and provide an important hardware firewall.

Arcane
03-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Great, now I get to stick with Windows because, well, I don't HAVE 5$ to spend. Oh well.

Harry Kuhman
03-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Great, now I get to stick with Windows because, well, I don't HAVE 5$ to spend. Oh well.
Yea, it's a bummer to have to stick with that $200 operating system rather than use a better free system while you use your $50/month high speed DSL service. And such a pain that Windows without a hardware firewall is so vulnerable to attacks over that expensive broadband connection. But what are you gong to do? You sure can't skip that Angus Beef burger or get a couple of fewer toppings on that pizza tonight.

Arcane
03-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Dude, the last time I had a burger was about 4 months ago.

I got my Windows free, ages ago, I'm running ZoneAlarm, and I can't get pizza. Thanks a ton for making me feel WORSE about it.

Harry Kuhman
03-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Dude, the last time I had a burger....
Dude, your high speed internet service costs a lot more each month than a nic and cable would set you back one time, particularly if you shopped around a little. You could even drop it for a month and use NetZero or even one of those free AOL discs for dial-up service for a month and save more than enough for the nic. cable, the $10 router, and the burger. You might even be able to get a cost saving promotion when you go back to your DSL provider. Cash is tight here too, but I don't make "I don't HAVE $5" posts about it.

Arcane
03-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Dude, I'm not the one PAYING for my DSL. Dude, thanks for making me feel better about Linux. Dude, I don't have PERMISSION to add a card to this computer. Dude, dude.