PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVD images using Knoppix!

DelNorte
03-21-2005, 03:01 AM
I can't burn DVD’s using my DVD burner at work because my IT has disallowed permissions to the writer. I tried booting knoppix off of a cd and it worked however, I could not burn the DVD image that was on my HD. I am assuming it is because there isn't enough RAM to mount the image (4GB) into ram. I was wondering how I could get around this, I was thinking using a USB HD or my iPod. I really think it would be easier just to find out how I could read the Image file off my windows HD. By the way I believe my windows HD is NTFS. Thanks in advance. :lol:

Dave_Bechtel
03-22-2005, 07:27 AM
You don't need 4GB of RAM to burn a DVD. Try this script; you can modify it to fit your needs. You should run it as root.
(Note: If a commandline begins with " ' ", don't put in the quotes. If it begins with ' " ', enter as shown but without the double-quotes.)

First, run ' cdrecord -scanbus ' and then
" export CDR_DEVICE='0,0,0' " or whatever the DVD burner is. Then,
' export DVD_SPEED=4 ' or whatever the burner is capable of.

--Note: If you're running kernel 2.6, you will probably have to run
' cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus ' and export the device as:
" export CDR_DEVICE='ATA:3,0,0' " or whatever.

Then, mount your NTFS filesystem ( example:
' mkdir /mnt/tmp;mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp -oro ' )

Now, CD to whichever directory contains the ISO, and run:
' burnthisiso2DVD . ' == The script will, by default, burn *.iso to the DVD.

BEGIN /usr/local/bin/burnthisiso2DVD

#!/bin/sh
# Backup a directory to dvd+rw

# We have to make ISO file 1st and then burn from that

##source /usr/local/bin/cdrecord-wrapper.sh

dirstobkp=$@
#spd=8
##dvdrecord=cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a20-i686-pc-linux-gnu

dvdrecord='dvdrecord'

echo "*** Backup $dirstobkp"

# Lifted from bkpcdtemp2iso...
#time mkisofs -d -D -f -l -J -N -r -T -v \
# -o /mnt/cdtemp/cdtemp.iso $dirstobkp

$dvdrecord dev=$CDR_DEVICE -v -v -eject fs=8192k speed=$DVD_SPEED \
-dao -data $dirstobkp/*.iso

--Make sure to ' chmod +x /usr/local/bin/burnthisiso2DVD ' before running. :) Lemme know if it works; I forget if Knoppix has dvdrecord installed by default on the live-cd.

I can't burn DVD�s using my DVD burner at work because my IT has disallowed permissions to the writer. I tried booting knoppix off of a cd and it worked however, I could not burn the DVD image that was on my HD. I am assuming it is because there isn't enough RAM to mount the image (4GB) into ram. I was wondering how I could get around this, I was thinking using a USB HD or my iPod. I really think it would be easier just to find out how I could read the Image file off my windows HD. By the way I believe my windows HD is NTFS. Thanks in advance. :lol: