PDA

View Full Version : Auto Mount?

cfish
03-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Ok I have add nofstab in the lilo.conf and changed noauto to auto in my fstab but still my data drive isn't mounted on bootup??

I found the info once before but not this time...my searches bring up to many hits :(

ecormier
03-21-2005, 01:35 PM
you say you added "nofstab" to /etc/lilo.conf.....then did you run lilo?? the changes don't happen until you type "lilo" and hit enter at the prompt

also did you double-check your fstab (check after you boot) to make sure that the partition you wanna auto mount is set to auto mount...if knoppix HW-autodetect gets its hands on it, it'll change it back :(...my backup drive looks something like this in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0

I didn't know about the "nofstab" so I just changed the owner of /etc/fstab to my user and gave write permissions to only me (root & everyone can read, but only I can write).....however that doesn't save me any time on the boot.

cheers
Eugene

spottyrover
03-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Interesting how ever I am not clear about 2 points

1. so does changing the fstab file permission to user stop the hardware detect from changing it?

2. where would I add nofstab in the file?

Thanks

cfish
03-22-2005, 06:43 AM
[quote="spottyrover"]Interesting how ever I am not clear about 2 points

1. so does changing the fstab file permission to user stop the hardware detect from changing it?

2. where would I add nofstab in the file?

Add it to the end of the append= line
but you need to run some commandline to set the thing in knoppix....I think it was ls something??

ecormier
03-22-2005, 01:52 PM
spottyrover: 1) yes by changing the write permission only your user can write to the file, but be sure to leave it so that everyone can read it.
2) I guess (I didn't write it) you would pass the "nofstab" command at the first boot prompt of knoppix (if you're running from bootable cd) ....if it's on your harddrive go into your /etc/lilo.conf and find the kernel you normally use (either 2.4.27 or 2.6.9 unless you added a new one yourself) and find the line in it's section that starts with "append" and add "nofstab" to it....then you must save the file and run "lilo" at the prompt.

heres a copy of my fstab (just for my extra drive that I want to be mounted):

/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0

heres a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf (just the part with the kernel I use - which I added 2.6.10)...I added the "nofstab" just so you can see where it goes.....I do not normally have it and have never tried it....I'd try it with the boot cd to make sure it works first):

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686
label="Linux-2.6.10"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-1-686
append="nofstab ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce atapicd alsa splash"
read-only

hope this helps
Cheers
Eugene

spottyrover
03-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks
I was wondering if you could do this.
As someone new I need as much detail as possible some thing which is hard to get at times

Thanks again I will give it a go

ecormier
03-26-2005, 02:04 AM
actually I've realized if you change the owner to yourself, root will overwrite it....so....you have to leave the owner as root and just remove the write permissions

Cheers
Eugene