PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Booting into X server

lewisp
03-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to use Knoppix on an older PC to build a print server for my network. In principle I've tested the print server concept on a Dell Dimension 4400 and experienced no difficulties, but when I try it on the older machine I'm having a difficult time of it.
The machine is a Pentium equivalent WinChip 200Mhz machine, 156Meg of memory and a SiS 5568 chipset video built onto the mobo. Finally, I use an old IBM 8512 monitor that has a 640x480 resolution, horizontal refresh of 31.5Khz and 60 to 70hz refresh in the vertical. In order to get a 'viewable' screen (ie: not scrambled or black) at the boot prompt I'm entering: knoppix-txt hsync=31.5 vsync=60 screen=640x480 depth=8.
I'm using KDE and get the task bar across the bottom of the screen, but do not have any of the drive icons displaying on the desktop as noted on the Dell (I'm expecting an icon for two cd rom drives, a hard drive, and floppy drive). Note: knoppix 'notices' all drives during the boot up. Also, when the konquer web browser starts, it is mostly off the screen. I'm am trying to figure out how to scale the window so that all GUI windows 'scale' to the screen and can be used easily.
I've tried to boot into text mode using the knoppix 2 cheat code and only got a black screen with small white dots. As if Knoppix didn't recognize the monitor's parameters. Can someone help me with configuring Knoppix to work with this system better.

Regards,
Paul

rusty
03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
If all you want to do is set up a print server after a hd install you could hook up a monitor that works, get the print server settings done then manage the thing using ssh from another box on the network.

Not pretty but you probably don't need to deal with the video issues as a practical matter :)