PDA

View Full Version : Problem accessing camera's web server

Thud
03-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm running a machine with Knoppix installed to the hard drive. I'm trying to get it to connect via web browser to a camera that has a webserver on it that can be used to watch what the camera sees. I can get the network running on Linux, but if I try to connect to the local IP of the camera, various things happen.

If I connect with Konquerer (latest version) sometimes the image comes up and sometimes it doesn't. When it does come up, it only updates the image every minute or so, and eventually times out

If I connect with Mozilla (both an old and a new version) it stalls right as its about to start loading the webpage.

I have verified that the page uses javascript, and I have downloaded both the newest java packages from sun, and the java plugin for mozilla, and I think they both installed correctly, but I'm still having the same problems. Could it be a problem with routing or something network-related? All I do is run an ifconfig command each time I boot the PC to get it on the network. I've come to believe that it is network related, because if I tell the camera to only post single pictures, instead of a live feed, it works just fine, but once I tell it to stream live data, it doesn't work. The other 2 computers on the network, both running Windows XP, have no problems accessing the camera. It's only this Knoppix PC.

tom p
03-24-2005, 06:09 PM
I have verified that the page uses javascript, and I have downloaded both the newest java packages from sun, and the java plugin for mozilla, and I think they both installed correctly, but I'm still having the same problems. Could it be a problem with routing or something network-related? All I do is run an ifconfig command each time I boot the PC to get it on the network. I've come to believe that it is network related, because if I tell the camera to only post single pictures, instead of a live feed, it works just fine, but once I tell it to stream live data, it doesn't work. The other 2 computers on the network, both running Windows XP, have no problems accessing the camera. It's only this Knoppix PC.
JavaScript is not Java! And that viewing single pictures work just fine makes me think it's rather not a network problem. Have you verified that under XP the live feed also works with different browsers (eg. Firefox)? It might just be a JavaScript problem - the JavaScript implementations of the different browsers all behave quite differently!

Thomas