PDA

View Full Version : connecting 2pc,linux and winxp

maggiesweetpea
03-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi,I wanted to know if it is possible to connect my 120 gb,512 runing winxp to an old pc (10-12 years)and to install linux on the old one.I would use the main running xp and would like to be able to switch to linux

Thank you Maggie

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Hi,I wanted to know if it is possible to connect my 120 gb,512 runing winxp to an old pc (10-12 years)and to install linux on the old one.I would use the main running xp and would like to be able to switch to linux
Exactly what you mean by "switch to Linux" is not clear, you may want to reword and restate this.

A 12 year old PC can run Linux, it might be a bit too old for Knoppix and it's GUI, depending on it's memory and CPU. It should certainly run a command line version of Linux, might be able to run a GUI but you should post more information for better feedback: Important things that would help us respond: For the old PC: What make and speed CPU? How much RAM memory? How large of a hard drive does it have (and, given the age, what type of interface does it have?) If it's a "brand name" computer, give us the make and model, if it's one someone built, give the make and model of the motherboard.

Is the newer computer connected to the Internet, and if so how? If you have a high speed connection and use a router with multiple ethernet ports on it, the adding a Linux system is as simple as plugging the Linux computer into another port. Of course if the old computer does not currently have an ethernet connection then you would have to add an etheret card. Given the age of that computer this might be an issue, if it has only ISA slots and no PCI slots then finding an ethernet ISA card can be hard. They are available (usually used), but I doubt that I would go this route for such an old computer. Say for example you have a 286 based system with only ISA card slots. Some might send you to that bay of thieves know as e-bay to find an isa ethernet card, but what you get may not work, may be misrepresented, may only support thin-net, or have other issues, if they bother to send you anything at all after taking your money. Given that you might be able to pick up newer systems for far less (I've often seen 486 based systems for as low as $5, including an ethernet connection, I even have a few around that I would give away free to anyone who would put them to use), at some point I would have to consider a very old system too old to do this with unless you have all of the needed parts handy.

Of course, you can "switch to Linux" on the New PC just by booting the Knoppix Live CD. You don't have to install anything, just run Linux from the Knoppix CD, take the CD out and reboot XP when you want.