PDA

View Full Version : KNoppix 3.7 to HD? help!

gonzo
03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I am new to knoppix have become confused on how to install knoppix to run off the HD. I have a blank HD and would like to install Knoppix on to it. The HD is 20GB I want Koppix on just a 10GB partition. After that I want to put WinXp on the after Partition as a dual boot.

Hope you can help

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
... After that I want to put WinXp on the after Partition as a dual boot....
I'm not the right person to advise anyone to install Knoppix onto a hard drive, but if you do plan to do so and also have XP on the disk I would very strongly suggest htat life will be much simpler if you install Windows first to a small partition and then install Knoppix. Windows really doesn't like other OS's and will wipe out your boot loader when it is installed,. If you install Windows first and leave space for Knoppix then you can at least avoid that problem and focus on the other problems of Knoppix installed to hard disk.

gonzo
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Do I use NTFS or FAT?

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Do I use NTFS or FAT?For the XP partition you can use either. If you think there is ever any reason that you will want to write to that partition with Knoppix then use FAT. If you want some of the newer features available only with NTFS (files larger than 4 gig, access control by user and encrypted file systems) then use NTFS but if you do never write to the disk with Knoppix (look but don't touch). I have an XP system with 1 NTFS partition and 1 FAT partition, works fine.

gonzo
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, what's the process of install Knoppix to a partition then? I use the Knoppix STD (security version)

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks, what's the process of install Knoppix to a partition then? I use the Knoppix STD (security version)
Sorry. I can't help you on that. Read through the forum, it's been discussed over and over. There is also an install FAQ in the documentation section. Personally I believe that if you install Knoppix rather than Debian you anger the gods and will be punished. But I could be wrong.

gonzo
03-24-2005, 12:07 PM
:lol: what's the difference between the 2?

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2005, 12:22 PM
what's the difference between the 2?
I don't understand the question, what 2 do you speak of? And AFAIK there are at least 3 ways to attempt to install Knoppix to HD. But the forum and the faq are where I would look for the information.

If you mean between Knoppix and Debian, Knoppix is a mix of various versions of Debian and was primairaly intended for running off a Live CD. Certain decisions were made that work well when running from a Live CD, not so well once installed. On top of that the install techniques leave something to be desired, you just have to read through the forum to see how many posts there are about a network or something else that worked fine when booting from the Live CD but stopped working after an install to HD. IMHO people like to install Knoppix to HD becuase Knoppix does a great job of hardware detection and quickly comes up with a full menu of nice applications and a nice look to the GUI. But installing and updating Knoppix can be much more of a problem than installing and updating a Debian system, amoung other reasons because of Knoppix's choice to mix stable, unstable and experimental versions. Installing Debian may take a bit more work, particularly if you are relatively new to Linux, but you learn in the process and hopefully have a more stable system when you are done, as well as being more experienced and better able to set up exactly what you want.

gonzo
03-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Sorry mate

Debian or Knoppix?

gonzo
03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Is Debian a free download? I really need it for security. The Knoppix STD has loads. like Nessus, ntop and Ethereal already installed...

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Is Debian a free download?.......
Yup. start here (http://www.debian.org/): http://www.debian.org/
You install what you want. You leave out what you don't want. You do a little work to set up the menu the way you want it and such, you learn by doing.

gonzo
03-24-2005, 01:25 PM
THanks, is this the right area? http://www.debian.org/distrib/cd

I just want to just download a single ISO file and put to disk, is thia possible?

djbjrca
03-29-2005, 02:53 AM
wouldn't typing "sudo knoppix-installer" in the terminal program box do it for you, also?

marhleet
04-02-2005, 05:15 AM
installing there is a cheat
knoppix tohd which is not well liked
after booting to the knoppix screen, you can
sudo knoppix-installer
to load it onto the hdd

for what is knoppix, once it's installed, it is Debian.

Harry Kuhman
04-02-2005, 05:35 AM
...for what is knoppix, once it's installed, it is Debian.
Much in the same way that if you bought a Lexus with a 2002 motor, a 2003 transmission and a 2004 ignition computer it might still be a Lexus. But you could expect less problems down the road if you just bought a Lexux from one model year than the above patchwork of equipment, and you can expect less problems woth Debian if you just install Debian rather than a mix of stable, unstable and experimental versions that is tuned well for running from a Live CD but not so much for installing to hard disk and updating and installing other stuff later.