PDA

View Full Version : Mad Dog USB 7-n-1 Dual Layer DVD Drive !!!!!

sakiZ
03-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Gee I hope I'm not off topic because I'm posting about a piece of hardware that DOES work. :-)

I successfully installed the USB Mad Dog 7-in-1 Dual Layer external DVD.

Knoppix did not install it automatically. I had to do that by hand.

But it works just fine!

sakiZ

OErjan
03-25-2005, 08:48 AM
my experience is that most USB burners work right out of box (i have two)

sakiZ
03-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Go Knoppix!

:-)

sakiZ

Harry Kuhman
03-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I had to do that by hand.
For the sake of others wo actually read through these forums looking for answers, you might want to post what you did to set this up "by hand".

sakiZ
03-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Ok.

Knoppix did sense the presence of the new drive. But it did not update the fstab file -- although it did insert a line reading "usbdevfs" in fstab. Curious.

I could open K3B settings and see that it the drive was being recognized as

/dev/scd2

as I already had two other CDRom devices installed internally. I could insert a music CD and K3B would correctly identify it. That was a relief.

But I could not see the drive in the file manager.

All I had to do at that point was create a mount directory and update fstab so that the drive could be mounted. Thus:

/mnt/usbdevfs

Then update fstab with a line:

/dev/scd2 /mnt/usbdevfs (then copying and inserting here the parameters from the other CDrom devices.

Sorry I'm at work as I write this. So I can't open the fstab file to complete the line with all the noauto, rw, etc.

sakiZ

sakiZ
04-18-2005, 02:42 AM
It occurred to me that I might someday have to access my Mad Dog 7-in-1 dual layer external USB drive via the live CD, not through my Knoppix HD install. What would happen?

So, I dug out my live CDs. First up to bat was Kannotix. I believe it is the latest release. It uses the 2.6.9 kernel version.

I thought with it's reputation of being great at finding hardware it would have the best chance of seeing the drive. NOPE!!! Struck out. Wow. Big shock.

Next up to bat was Knoppix 3.6. using the 2.4 kernel. Bingo!!! Found it. Interesting that I had to hand tweak the fstab to access this drive in my HD install, but not via the live CD. Hmm.

FYI

sakiZ