PDA

View Full Version : Booting from Floppy + HD +CDROM query !

Mr_White
03-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Hi, could someone explain this !
I have the main knoppix file ( not Knoppix.iso but just Knoppix ) on a partition on my hard disk ( hdb1).
I have created booty floppies ( 2 were needed) as I could not boot direct from CD ( Got Knoppix up and going via a boot manager as I could not boot from CD)
Now, I did not want to install Knoppix on my HD, hence I just copied the main knoppix file onto the hdb1 partition.
I put the floppies in at boot time and at the boot prompt I enter :
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdb1

ie to load the Knoppix file from my hard drive.
The problem is I have to have the Knoppix CD in the CDdrive for the system to load from my Hard drive.
If I do the procedure without the CD in the drive, the screen freezes at the "Welcome to Knopix live CD"
and does not go any further.
The whole point was to boot from floppy and load the OS from the Knoppix file on my HD and to avoid putting the Knoppix CD into the CD drive. Knoppix does load from my HD as I can take the Knoppix CD out and I hear my HD working as I use Knoppix.. Does the Knoppix CD contain files needed to start the OS ? I thought the main KNoppix file and the 2 boot floppies would be suffice to get Knoppix up and running.
Is there as cheatcode I should use at the boot prompt so I do not need to have the Knoppix CD in the drive ? Like I said the whole point was to try to get Knopix up and running via the 2 boot floppies and the Knoppix file on my hdb1 partition. Is the latter possible or will I have to keep sticking in the CD along with the boot floppies at startup.
Thanks for any help / tips/advice/ clarification of the issue !

Mr White.

eon
03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
You didn't say what version you have but try "fromhd" without any arguments
and see if it finds knoppix on your hard drive.
You might want to check out the book Knoppix Hacks which describes how
to do what you want in hack#5. Good luck