PDA

View Full Version : USB Port Problem

halvorj
04-09-2003, 03:48 AM
Hi, newbie here. I have a USB 1.1 port going to my printer. When I print a test page, it says it printed, but nothing goes to the printer. Question, do I have to set up something special for a USB 1.1 port?

Thanks,
John

rickenbacherus
04-09-2003, 10:21 PM
There should be quite a bit to be found on this site about USB if you use the search function. There are many ways to gain info about USB. Do a lsmod to see what drivers are loaded. Do a dmesg to see all of your kernel messages from boot and find out what it tells you about USB. There is a program called usbview. Run it from the command line. You can do a cat /proc/bus/usb to see if your hub or anything connected to it shows up. If your device seems to be recognized you could run the Printer Wizard.

halvorj
04-10-2003, 01:52 AM
There should be quite a bit to be found on this site about USB if you use the search function. There are many ways to gain info about USB. Do a lsmod to see what drivers are loaded. Do a dmesg to see all of your kernel messages from boot and find out what it tells you about USB. There is a program called usbview. Run it from the command line. You can do a cat /proc/bus/usb to see if your hub or anything connected to it shows up. If your device seems to be recognized you could run the Printer Wizard.

Thanks,
I'll give those all a try.
John

aay
04-10-2003, 05:08 AM
I've had this happen before and, for me, the solution was picking a different driver. When you go through the KDE print wizard see if there isn't more than one driver for your printer. In my case I needed to choose the gimp-print driver. Post back if this helps.

halvorj
04-11-2003, 03:19 AM
I've had this happen before and, for me, the solution was picking a different driver. When you go through the KDE print wizard see if there isn't more than one driver for your printer. In my case I needed to choose the gimp-print driver. Post back if this helps.

Yes, you're right. I found the problem to be with the drivers not the USB port. I had to switch to a CUPS type of printer.

Thanks for all your help.
John

aay
04-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Glad to hear that fixed you up and thanks for posting back that it worked.