PDA

View Full Version : laptop installation without bootable cd-rom

radschlaeger
03-26-2005, 12:16 AM
hi fellows!

i found this one: windows partition pmi.
(http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition)

workstation is installed (c converted to ntfs) and i can choose some options in grub.
but there always follows a "cannot mount selected partition".

i played around with things like hd (0,0) and hd (0.1), but no success.

c: is first partition, but in front of it are about 8 mb, which cannot be formated or deleted or partitioned. simply unallocated.

my configuration
thinkpad notebook, 192 mb ram,
20 gb hd
(6 gb ntfs; c:
- 6 gb data fat32; d:
8 gb unused)
multiboot on c with win98 and w2k.

hope this information helps you to help me. is it possible to start any other distribution in iso-format with this pmi?

thanks in advance
radi

fpd
03-28-2005, 05:59 AM
FTP a Knoppix ISO onto the computer you describe above.
From a working Linux system (or Live CD) make a boot floppy:
# mkboot
Put the boot floppy into the computer you described, and when LILO comes up, use:

knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNX.iso

... well, that's what the Cheat Codes say:

http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

OErjan
03-28-2005, 11:08 AM
you might have to rename the iso to KNX.iso

Mr_Mike
03-29-2005, 12:12 AM
This is what I did.

I got a laptop 44 pin to IDE 40 pin adapter and installed my laptop harddrive in a desktop computer with a bootable CDROM. Make sure the hard disk is HDA1. You have no use for the computer's original HDD for this step anyway.

I then used the standard tools for creating a HD installation of Knoppix.

I then reinstalled the disk drive in the laptop. So far, except for wireless networking, everything works fine. (If anyone can help with the wireless thing, please se my post inthe Networking forum :) )

chopperman
03-29-2005, 12:51 AM
I finally got my Presario 2100 with a present but DOA internal cd to work with a USB CDROM. I had to set the BIOS to boot: 1) CD 2) removable device. I also had to set the USB to "legacy ON" The latter is most likely die to the USB CDROM being kind of old.

I then had to use Knoppix 3.7 rather than 3.8. I discovered that the 2.6 kernel didnt like my setup. Using the 2.4 kernel (i.e. knoppix vs knoppix26) I had to use the cheatcode "Knoppix bootfrom=/dev/scd0"

Once KDE came up I could then partition and install.

The final oddity is that from the LILO prompt I have to use the 2.6 kernel boot or I get a black screen (weird) But so far so good.

radschlaeger
04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
uff... thx guys... seems to be a kind of "from behind through the chest into your eye" work... i will give feedback when i got about 4 weeks time...
:?

T_H_E_O_N_E
04-13-2005, 07:06 PM
I also try to use Grube but i dont understand the guide.
The guide says: "Copy the files and folders from the "RootOfNTFS" folder into the root of your C: drive, except for boot.ini"
That must mean (C:).

This is here my problem start: "While you're in the root of your C: drive, find the boot.ini file and copy it to boot.old"
I cant find any .ini file and the Grube package didnt contain any boot.old folder.

Iam using Windows XP pro. Cant the root be system or system32? But i tried to find the .ini ther too.

tablet_guy
04-25-2005, 03:20 AM
I also try to use Grube but i dont understand the guide.
The guide says: "Copy the files and folders from the "RootOfNTFS" folder into the root of your C: drive, except for boot.ini"
That must mean (C:).

This is here my problem start: "While you're in the root of your C: drive, find the boot.ini file and copy it to boot.old"
I cant find any .ini file and the Grube package didnt contain any boot.old folder.

Iam using Windows XP pro. Cant the root be system or system32? But i tried to find the .ini ther too.

Hi,

pls try doing "attrib -r -h -s c:\boot.ini" from a command console in windoze to make the file visible.
You may want to search "attrib ntfs "boot.ini"" in google for more on the attrib command (i don't
know much about it, as I access it from a linux installation). The thread to follow and post in
concerning grube.zip method is:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200&sid=6d15c61448fab0dec50320f17ad508ab

Good luck, and please post there or here if you need more help, or if you succeed.

Tom