PDA

View Full Version : I have broken package in synaptic?

cfish
03-26-2005, 01:01 AM
I used module-assistant to update alsa and it has seemed to changed something but not the reason I tried to upgrade...I want to get sounds from two or more apps to play together, instead of queued??

I didn't fix that but now I have synaptic telling me I have a broken package and I need to install alsa-utils...I try but get

Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

....so until I can fix this error I can't fix the broken package error?

My sound system is working ok except I can't get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together??

can you help with any of these problems??

:)

eco2geek
03-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Can't speak to your wish to "get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together"... but if you really want to nuke the "knx-alsa" package in order to install the "alsa-utils" package, you could try

# apt-get -s remove knx-alsa

(the "-s" option just simulates it), and if that doesn't generate any errors, then

# apt-get remove knx-alsa && apt-get install alsa-utils

and cross your fingers. (Let us know if sound still works!)

(I'm running a Knoppix variant named Kanotix (http://www.kanotix.com), which is based totally on Debian Sid and is designed to have fewer problems upgrading than Knoppix does. The "knx-alsa" and "alsa-utils" packages are both installed.)

fingers99
03-26-2005, 07:40 PM
get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together

I don't think this is possible!

But you know that the 2.6 option on Knoppix (and AFAIK the most recent Kanotix) install Alsa by default because it's now part of the 2.6 kernel?