PDA

View Full Version : Rescue

gum digger
03-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Hi
Iam so frusted becoz my laptop (compaq presario R3000) gives me blue screen of death at the startup so i decided to use knoppix to backup the files but when ever i boot knopixx in its normal mode it doesnt load so i use knoppix nodma to get in but once i get in i dont know how to netowrk one computer to other. there no sign of hardware detection once the network cable is connected to my laptop. the other pc has winxp in it . can anyone guide me plze.

OErjan
03-26-2005, 09:54 AM
if you click on the "penguinicon" (down to the left), you can choose network/internet.
then in menu that pops upp you can choose network card configuration.
from there i imagine you choose yes if you automaticaly get a IP, if you are interconecting between two computers without a dhcpserver you ofcource say no and continue manually.

if you need more help i need to know more. open a console (icon showing a stylized computer monitor) and type comands below. then type the outputs in here
what does comand below say?
dmesg|grep eth
for me that looks like this
dmesg|grep eth
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xd800, XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IRQ 11
eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

then
ifconfig woulld help, if you have not entered anything in the netcard config you are likely getting nothing relating to eth (only lo, which is not interesting here), but IF you do. enter it here.

by the way, are you using a crossed cable? a straight cable (as from wall to computer or hub to computer) canot be used between two computers, if you do you wil send signal to other computers output and try to recive from other ccomputerss recive lines.
If this is what you try you must use either a crossed cable, a hub/switch, a small adapter that makes the cable crossed, about 4€ so no big expence (here is a link just to show you what i mean
http://dustin.se/DacsaPortal/system/pages/products/wf_show_product_detail.aspx?ProdID=5010069447 ),
or a crossed cable (about same price for a 3m).

gum digger
03-27-2005, 12:18 AM
HI there
i said no to dhcp server when i

i followed the steps as you said and i got the results when i typed in dmesg|grep eth. and i got
dmesg|grep eth
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xd800, XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IRQ 11
eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1

then typed if config it gave me a inet address ,bcast ,mask and up broadcast running multicast and etc.. and also it gave me lo.

by the way iam using a cross over cable.
what do i do next if iam right till here.
plze help me out here.

OErjan
03-27-2005, 10:12 AM
try pinging the boxes, in windows open a comandprompt and type ping (knoppix ip)
in a console in linux type ping -c 5 (windows IP)
if that works you have a conection and can use

penguinicon-->utilities-->samba network neighbourhood
to conect to a shared directory on your win machine.
EDIT
you know that you need a diferent IP in same series but different numbers as your win machine right? (I assume you know nothing, it may be wrong, in that case sorry, but in support it is a good path to tread.)
let us say that one is 192.168.0.2 and the other is 192.168.0.3, then same netmask (255.255.255.0 in this case)
/EDIT

gum digger
03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
try pinging the boxes, in windows open a comandprompt and type ping (knoppix ip)
in a console in linux type ping -c 5 (windows IP)
if that works you have a conection and can use

penguinicon-->utilities-->samba network neighbourhood
to conect to a shared directory on your win machine.
EDIT
you know that you need a diferent IP in same series but different numbers as your win machine right? (I assume you know nothing, it may be wrong, in that case sorry, but in support it is a good path to tread.)
let us say that one is 192.168.0.2 and the other is 192.168.0.3, then same netmask (255.255.255.0 in this case)
/EDIT

Your the Man
you saved my ass. thanks alot i was workin on this since 3 weeks thanks a lot.