PDA

View Full Version : linux package = windows application?

caminoix
03-26-2005, 11:13 AM
is that it? does it mean the same?

i don't know how to install programs on linux. i read i have to read the man pages but don't know how to find them :(

can you help, please?

OErjan
03-26-2005, 04:31 PM
it is a close similarity for the most part.
and manpages you get by typing
man comand
in an console (screenlike icon on bottom of screen)
usually you can use klick or apt-get to install things (klick is for knoppix live CD)
read the documentation about these two in the Documentation section of this site (link to them at top of this page)
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

caminoix
03-26-2005, 06:06 PM
thank you very much :)

OErjan
03-26-2005, 09:07 PM
oh, by the way, apt get is only possible if you have a hdd install.

caminoix
03-27-2005, 12:22 PM
ah... i'm afraid i can't do it at the moment but i'll just see what i can do with what i've learned. i hope i can still make it work :)

csdavid
03-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Use the command kpackage Start->System->Kpackage

Gives you a nice environment to browse and select packages, see what you have installed, update with new versions, or try new stuff you never had before.

Stay away from the command line stuff unless you are pursuing a Masters in Computers.

fingers99
03-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Use the command kpackage Start->System->Kpackage
Stay away from the command line stuff unless you are pursuing a Masters in Computers.

NO! Kpackage is useful for installing one off packages with no dependencies, otherwise, it's a pita.

If you really want to stay away from CL, use Synaptic which is a graphical front end to apt-get which, in turn, is the best package management system known to *nixkind.

Just connect to the internet, do

su
(prompt for root password)
apt-get update && apt-get synaptic && exit

(just copy and paste the line)

the advantage of apt-get and synaptic is that they will satisfy any dependencies your system has automatically.

I'm a GUI kinda person myself (hell, my favourite programming language is Smalltalk, fcs) but the command line has real advantages given a decent shell (and bash, the default Linux shell, is very good indeed). This kind of inverse snobbery gets no one nowhere.