PDA

View Full Version : no sound

fevel
03-26-2005, 09:06 PM
the system has no sound...when i try to run the soundcard configuration "you dont seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled", ive enbled the sound system in the kde control center. and nothing

marhleet
03-27-2005, 06:08 AM
do you have a recognised and found sound card ?

lspci

where's the log files to paste from on the install ? anyone else ?

fevel
03-27-2005, 04:35 PM
when I try to configure the sound it says "You dont seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled.(soundcore.o was not found in the module search path). To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modula sound, such as the kernel shipped with Debian gnu/linux or a 2.2 kernel, and sound must be compiled as modules" Im using knoppix 3.8. And this happens on every computer I boot knoppix on

fevel
03-27-2005, 04:47 PM
actually i think the problem is that i have onboard sound but i use a pci souncard. so i change it on kmix but i have to restart kde for it to work. and when I do it goes back to the onboard soundcard

chris-harry
03-28-2005, 05:15 AM
ok... i think we should have a sticky on having how to fix sound.. :D

Harry Kuhman
03-28-2005, 05:19 AM
ok... i think we should have a sticky on having how to fix sound.. That sounds to me like you want to volunteer. Please make sure it is good and comprehensive.

eco2geek
03-28-2005, 06:44 AM
actually i think the problem is that i have onboard sound but i use a pci souncard. so i change it on kmix but i have to restart kde for it to work. and when I do it goes back to the onboard soundcard

You can usually disable onboard sound in the BIOS. (Which you might want to do if you've got a separate soundcard installed.)

CrashedAgain
03-29-2005, 09:31 PM
I've posted this several times but here it is again. It has always worked for me.

First, boot 'knoppix alsa' to make sure you are using alsa and not oss. (This should not be necessary with the 2.6 series kernel since alsa is the default with this kernel but just to be sure...)These are the sound modules in the kernel, oss is obsolete. If you are installed to HD, edit the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf adding 'alsa' to the list then re run lilo.

Then, try the sound configuration tool in the 'Knoppix' menu item.

Make sure your Kmix volume settings are turned up, you need at least master and PCM turned up.

Go to KDE control center -> sound system & enable the sound system.

Go to KDE control center -> system notifications & turn on all event sounds.

Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'true'.

[Misc]
LastConfiguredApp=The KDE Window Manager

[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true

It is a hidden file, to find it set konqueror to view hidden files then edit it with Kate or Kwrite.

Why kde doesn't do this automatically when enabling system sounds is a mystery to me but it doesn't.

You should now have system beeps & whistles.

To play sounds from more than one application you must use the sound server aRts & you will need to install the xmms-arts plugin so that xmms can use aRts also. Apt-get install xmms-arts then you have to configure xmms to use aRTs as the output plugin. This setting is in options->settings->Audio I/O Plugins.

You also have to set xine to use aRts, the setting is in settings->setup->audio->audio driver to use.

If you are using konqueror as a web browser go to konqueror configuration settings->plugins & set 'pipe plugin sounds though arts' to true. It is under the second tab under 'netscape plugins'. They should revise their dialog box names since "netscape" is now pretty much a thing of the past.

chris-harry
03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
ok... i think we should have a sticky on having how to fix sound.. That sounds to me like you want to volunteer. Please make sure it is good and comprehensive.

ok... I'll take up that challange... nothing impossible... to a certain extent... but i am sure i can do it.. .:D just means i have a lot of reading ahead, (awwww) and studying... :D so i will be needing alot of prozac before compleation... :D:D

but i will do it... any good links.. please PM me them... :D

Harry Kuhman
03-30-2005, 09:26 AM
ok... I'll take up that challange... nothing impossible... to a certain extent... but i am sure i can do it..
Good for you. One suggestion: I think it would server better as a wiki article than a "stickie". There is no point in cluttering the groups with lots of stickies now that the wiki is back up, that's what it's there for.

chris-harry
03-30-2005, 09:31 AM
good point... :D me now starting... :D

and then i shall start practicing... anytips.. :D

fpd
04-05-2005, 02:52 AM
I have a strange problem:

If I log in as root, I have all the Knoppix, bubbly system sounds.
If I log in as a normal user, I have no system sounds, but if I use xmms, I have sound.

I am using a Compaq Presario with Knoppix 3.4 installed (2.4.26 kernel because 2.6.6 doesn't recognize my mouse).

I tried all your suggestions, but I could not get sound on my user account to work. Any advice, beside logging in as root?

EDIT!

I did not try one thing, that is: REBOOT! After rebooting, TWICE, the sound worked. The first reboot caused a problem big enough that fsck gave up and said "Repair manually." By that I understood that it was time to go to bed. Rebooting again gave me all the sound and a new lease on life. Thank you for your help.