PDA

View Full Version : DEC Tulip based NIC's & V3.8/Kernel V2.6.x

rec9140
03-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Since the 2.6 kernel has been included in Knoppix the same problem over and over has been a problem, LAN card.

The problem is the de4x5 driver and 21041 based DLink 503+ cards. Under 2.4.x kernels works great using the tulip driver. Kernel 2.6 seems to want to use the de4x5 in place of the tulip one for some reason.

I've tried modprobe tulip and then netcardconfig same results HARD LOCK UP. Require a reset.

So I removed the de4x5 driver via modprobe -r de4x5 then did a modprobe tulip and tried to do both a netcardconfig and ifconfig manually.

Both result in an error about no such interface and a simple ifconifg shows only the lo interface.

What is the correct way to get this de4x5 driver removed, the correct tulip one installed WITHOUT loosing the eth0 interface so I can get networking working on 2 PC's.

Any way to do this with out remastering with changes to modules.conf and the alias list for eth0

Looking for soltuions to get the LIVE CD working, then to do a HD install from a working enviroment.

Any way to get this updated in the CD so that other tulip based users can get the correct driver installed for future releases.

Comments & suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

rolfhub
04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
I think that I have the same problem, try the following:

- boot Knoppix with "knoppix nodhcp"
- create a shell script with the following content:

pump --kill
ifconfig eth0 down
rmmod de4x5
modprobe tulip
pump

- run the shell script

I don't know if it will work for you, but it seems to work for me.