PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot Knoppix live-on-cd: IP problems

Jhuehn
03-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi, I want to boot Knoppix Live-On-CD to run a diagnostic on my system to see if a problem I am having with my touchpad is hardware related or software related.

Long story short, I try to boot Knoppix and it gets to the point where it says "eth0 dectected" and something like "DCHP present looking for IP" right after. No matter how long I wait it just gets stuck at this line and won't go past.

I don't want the internet when I boot Knoppix up so is there any way to disable it so I can get Knoppix booted. Thanks.

eon
03-27-2005, 08:43 PM
You will have to boot with a cheatcode to get knoppix running.
Go here: http://www.knoppix.nl/3.7/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
Good luck

rec9140
04-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi, I want to boot Knoppix Live-On-CD to run a diagnostic on my system to see if a problem I am having with my touchpad is hardware related or software related.

Long story short, I try to boot Knoppix and it gets to the point where it says "eth0 dectected" and something like "DCHP present looking for IP" right after. No matter how long I wait it just gets stuck at this line and won't go past.

I don't want the internet when I boot Knoppix up so is there any way to disable it so I can get Knoppix booted. Thanks.

To boot to a working enviroment do, at the boot: prompt:

knoppix nodhcp

What kind of LAN card?

And which version of Knoppix, if less than 3.8, are you using kernel 2.4.x or kernel 2.6.x. Prior to V3.8 you would be typing knoppix26 to use 2.6 v. the default 2.4 in earlier versions.

I am trying to determine if the problem with network cards under 2.6.x kernel is more wide spread than just a single type of card.

Thanks.