PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Booting

achtunga
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Hello,

I know, I've searched the forums...

I'm having trouble booting. It won't boot at all. Here's some more information:

- When I burned it, I extracted the ISO and then burned the files. So, the files are like D:\knoppix\ where D is the CD-ROM, so basically I burned it correctly. I don't think you need to specify anything else or do I, when burning? I've done burning several times and they all worked, bootable CDs.
- The MD5 sum verifies I downloaded it correctly.
- If I put in the CD under Windows, it shows up the documentation page or whatever.
- I've changed the BIOS settings, still nothing. I know what I'm doing, so it's not my fault on this end. The computer is an old Pentium II, 300MHz or so with 378mb of ram, so it meets the requirements.
- It doesn't boot on my other computer, but something was strange. Once I booted, it says "Boot CD-ROM: __" but doesn't say "Press any key to boot..." of which it normally does.

I really want to get this working...

Thanks in advance,
achtunga

fingers99
03-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I still think that it's in the burning.

I've no idea what burning software you're using, but what you have to do is to "burn as image".

There's absolutely no need to extract stuff from the .iso and -- although Windows may tell you different -- it isn't a rar archive.

Harry Kuhman
03-27-2005, 10:11 PM
...- When I burned it, I extracted the ISO and then burned the files. So, the files are like D:\knoppix\ where D is the CD-ROM, so basically I burned it correctly. I don't think you need to specify anything else or do I, when burning? I've done burning several times and they all worked, ...If you extracted anything from the iso then you did not burn Knoppix correctly.

It does not matter that you can see the directory structure on the CD you built. We do sometimes use not being able to see the directory structure as a way to demonstrate to people that they have burnt the CD improperly, but if you extracted the directory structure from the iso and then threw that down on a CD you would have a directory structure, but not a bootable Knoppix Linux CD. That does not make it bootable. And you never want to use an option in your burning software to make it bootable.

Accept the fact that you might need to learn something here. Follow the documentation link at the top of this page and read the downloading faq. Check your md5 sum, burn the iso as an image, and burn it at a slow speed like 4x (and use a 700 meg CDRW if you have one, at least until you get things right).

achtunga
03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I've done CDs before and they've worked...

Owell I solved it.