PDA

View Full Version : Kernal:VFS:Unable to mount fs on 01:03 on knpooix v3.7

thenewguy
03-28-2005, 05:58 AM
So I have a HP pavillion 7840 pc running windows me (don't laugh it wasn't my choice) with a celeron 766mhz and Intergrated Intel 82810 graphics and 256mb of mem. I tryed to install windows xp pro but gay hp decided to make my pc only compatable with windows me and that was a big pain trying to install that. Anyway I am new to knoppix or anyhting linux. So I put in the cd and reboot my pc and the first screen comes up that says knoppix v3.7 and the bootprompt is there I try to run knoppix using the command "Knoppix" and the first thing that comes up is a a video something error and I select 0 and then it starts loading but after a few seconds I get this Kernal:VFS:Unable to mount fs on 01:03 error I don't have any clue what it means so any help would be greatly apriacated. Thanks!

csdavid
03-28-2005, 07:03 PM
First, Knoppix works with a far greater variety of hardware than Windows does out of the box. That doesn't say that HP didn't make some custom driver used in your ME system. (Babylon 5 reference: I didn't say anything then, and I'm not saying anything now.)

When you get to the first boot screen, try this:

knoppix26 noscsi screen=800x600 lang=us

You may encounter error messages about an undefined video mode. Just press enter twice.

If that doesn't get you to your Knoppix desktop, try rebooting the computer (probably involves the power switch at this point)
and try:

failsafe lang=us

Unless you like your error messages in German.

thenewguy
03-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the help but it didn't work. I tried the first knoppix26 noscsi screen=800x600 lang=us and I get a system halted thin it's then frozen. Then I tryed the failsafe but I get the same error message I orginaly worte about