PDA

View Full Version : Installing Modem driverson Dell Inspiron 1100

Probert31
03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Ok. For the past few weeks I've been trying to install modem drivers under Knoppix. The problems started when I discovered I had a "winmodem" and that there really was no support for the Conexant HSF Softmodem under Linux. I downloaded the Linuxant modem drivers and tried to install them. Unfortunately it came up with a read/write error, unable to write to the filesystem. I tried setting up a persistant home on a USB storage device and installing the drivers there but to no avail. Then I decided To try it on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with a PcTel modem. I downloaded the drivers (pctel-0.9.7-9.tar.gz), unpacked them and tried to install them. After I resolved the "please enter your hal type" problem, I continued the install. But, alas the same problem. "can not make directory" file system is read only. I used the following command to install the drivers, ./setup. Now the question. Is there any way to install these drivers to the USB device, in my persistant home or something? How do I get around the read/write thing? My hard drive is formatted NTFS, not FAT. It seems like it should be a common thing, but I really haven't been able to come up with any info on it across the internet. If someone could help me out or atleast point me to an answer I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.