PDA

View Full Version : CDrom soundcards etc after HD install

chopperman
03-29-2005, 03:03 AM
I see I am not alone in my issues with CROM mounting and soundcard detection post-hdd install

would it make any difference if I did a debian-type install instead of the knoppix HD install?

mr_ed
03-30-2005, 04:19 AM
The CDROM thing is probably easy to fix - it's usually just a matter of someone turning the road signs to face the wrong direction, so we turn them back around.

The sound card, though, could be a matter of hardware detection. Do you get the Knoppix start-up sound when you boot from the CD?

Knoppix is at the top of the heap for hardware detection. It's not perfect, so there's stuff it doesn't find. But when that's the case, finding a distro that works for you can involve trying one, then another, then.... unless you can find a posting by someone with your same brand of card who found something that works.

But if you do go shopping for another distro, Linux sarge and Progeny Linux are the two I've tried that seem to do hardware detection almost as well as Knoppix. Other posters have mentioned other distros that solved their hardware problems, but I haven't used (or needed) them.

-- Ed