PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP PRO is mashed

Alpha
03-29-2005, 06:33 PM
ok i downloaded knoppix and attempted to format my other hard-drive which as to my knowlege has absolutely no system files i clicked on format and chose ext3.
Now also i chose the hide option on my main hd otherwise known as C: drive in windows i did this thinking that the application wouldnt format that, just a security measure, now i formatted the second hd from before and i clicked commit and it did its buisness but then i couldnt figure out how to install knoppix i read a few files on the net but didnt get any clear understanding of it as im a complete linux/unix/what ever NOOB i know hardly anything about unix.
now im not blaiming knoppix for my system not working now but id just like a little help on how to fix windows xp.

it will start up properly up till it has the windows XP logo and writing and the annoying little loading bar at the bottom, before it finishes loading it gives me the BSOD (blue screen of death)
and says something like could not find file error 0x00000038 (0x000000 0x000000) i have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on and yes i did take out my knoppix cd.
i dont care about my previous files since i had nothing of ANY importance id just like to have my computer back to working order, ive booted up from knop[pix to be able to type this out right now and windows wont even start from safe mode.
i have no windows cd's at my disposel, but i can easily get one its not a problem id just like to know if a reinstall is nececsary and what steps i must take to repair my computer
hope somebody helps :)

CrashedAgain
03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Now also i chose the hide option on my main hd otherwise known as C: drive in windows .....

Probably this changed then filesystem type to a 'hidden' filesystem type. Go again cfdisk or QTparted & change the filesystem type for /dev/hda1 back to a regular (probably NTFS) type & you should be OK.

Alpha
03-30-2005, 11:08 AM
hehe well i formatted hda1 too after i couldnt be bothered now i have linux on hda1 and hda2 is linux formatted and it has a folder called lost + Found should i delete it it has nothing in it as far as i can see.
o yeah and i did a hd install :)

UnderScore
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Don't delete lost+found. It is part of the system, just leave it alone.

chris-harry
03-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Don't delete lost+found. It is part of the system, just leave it alone. its like the folds in your skin... they're there, you cant help it, but somehow you find last nights food in it... or a cheese sandwitch...