PDA

View Full Version : Root can't log onto KDE in Knoppix 3.8?

Mr_Mike
03-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Using a HDD installation of Knoppix 3.6, root can login using KDE.

In 3.8, root cannot. This makes it hard to get administration and set-up done. Even getting config files edited is a PITA.

Can this be fixed? Academically ,why was this done?

As usual thanks in advance, and if I'm wrong, call me a moron. :)

whoeverheis
03-31-2005, 02:32 AM
Can't call you a moron since mine is the same way. Or maybe we're both morons :roll: I'm working on it right now but my first thought was dangerous. Maybe someone else has an answer as to why other than it keeps you from screwing things up less than in 3.7 :shock:

eco2geek
03-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Get root, and, using your favorite text editor, edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc --

Change "AllowRootLogin=false" to "AllowRootLogin=true" --

That should let you log on (from kdm) as root.

It's a way of saying, "Are you really sure you want to do this?"

mr_ed
03-31-2005, 08:33 AM
The huge-ist risk - and it is huge :shock: - is to be wandering around the web as root. One nasty trick that malicious websites can do is execute javascript that brings harm to your system. You can turn javascript off in Mozilla/Firefox, but lots and lots of non-nasty sites rely on it too.

It's bad enough when malware gets loaded onto your system and can run with user privileges, but with root privileges...!

Your browser even politely tells websites what operating system you're running so that the bad guys can target you more specifically. To see what I mean:- go to www.grc.com;
- scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page;
- click on ShieldsUP!;
- wait for two boxes to appear;
- carefully read what's in them;
- click Proceed;
- click the button Browser Headers;
- carefully read the line User-Agent;
- check out other useful and interesting stuff on Steve Gibson's website.Be root only when you must.

-- Ed