PDA

View Full Version : English language

adammc
03-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi,
I have just run Knoppix for the first time and all the menus and text is in another language.

I tried clicking the us english icon in the bottom right, but it didnt change anything ?

How can i make it english ?

fingers99
03-30-2005, 11:19 PM
KMenu (icon at bottom left > Settings > Control Center > Country/Region & Language.

The flag icon just changes the keyboard.

My guess is that your iso is labelled KNOPPIX_V3.6 DE (German) rather than KNOPPIX_V3.6 EN.

Harry Kuhman
03-30-2005, 11:31 PM
My guess is that your iso is labelled KNOPPIX_V3.6 DE (German) rather than KNOPPIX_V3.6 EN. Why do you assume that is is running 3.6 instead of 3.7 or even 3.8?

whoeverheis
03-31-2005, 02:46 AM
Just as a comment, if you screw around with Knoppix enough you can get just about any combination of English and German throughout. It's amazing to see KDE in German and all your input in English. Or how about doubleing everything in the application menu up: half German, half English. I can't believe I'm the only one clever :roll: enough to accomplish this :lol:

adammc
03-31-2005, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give it a go ;)

I'm running 3.8 - 2005

Harry Kuhman
03-31-2005, 03:23 AM
I'm running 3.8 - 2005There is no official 3.8 release yet. The CeBit version of 3.8 was a German version. One of the unofficaial torrents posted had been modified to run in English (and to run in Windows if you have an awful lot of memory). Read the CeBIT thread in the News section for more details.

adammc
03-31-2005, 04:19 AM
Ooops, guess I downloaded the wrong file then LOL

I made the changes in the settings, I'm now getting some english and some ... Dutch (i think)

Can I change this or am i going to have to download the english version ?

Harry Kuhman
03-31-2005, 05:17 AM
Ooops, guess I downloaded the wrong file then LOL

I made the changes in the settings, I'm now getting some english and some ... Dutch (i think)

Can I change this or am i going to have to download the english version ?
I downloaded the "modified" English version and all I've seen is English. You can wait for an official English version, use the cheat code at startup to force englisg (which I think is all the modified version does), or use what you have.

fingers99
03-31-2005, 07:08 PM
My guess is that your iso is labelled KNOPPIX_V3.6 DE (German) rather than KNOPPIX_V3.6 EN. Why do you assume that is is running 3.6 instead of 3.7 or even 3.8?

Harry, Harry, it was late at night, I was copying and pasting, and I'm sure the principle is easy enough to follow...............

Harry Kuhman
04-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Harry, Harry, it was late at night, I was copying and pasting, and I'm sure the principle is easy enough to follow............... It would be for 3.7. But it turns out he is trying to get an unofficial 3.8 release to work. Since there is no official DE and EN release of 3.8, he just can't apply the same principle.