PDA

View Full Version : wireless

rubic_cube
03-31-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a wireless network that I've been testing Knoppix with and I keep encountering problems with encryption.
The wireless router has default values and DHCP disabled, I assign an IP address to a client in knoppix and can ping the wireless router.
I can set the SSID to hide on the wireless router and when I shutdown both interfaces (eth0, wifi0) then enable them again and ping the wireless router it works.

Then I set the encryption on the AP to 64 bit with ASCII phrase "passw".

In knoppix I do iwconfig wifi0 key s:passw[4] to set the encryption to "passw" on key 4, I've tried this on both interfaces, both when shut down and enabled again but still I can't ping the wireless router.
When I do iwconfig wifi0 the config displays the IP address, encryption as hashes, the correct MAC for AP so I don't know why it's not working.

The wireless client card is cisco aironet, the problems only arise when trying to use encryption.

Any help appreciated.

whoeverheis
03-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Why don't you just use the Knoppix wavelan setup? I am on a wireless router right now. Initially I had the same problem as you do. I looked at iwconfig and everything was perfect but no go online. I too thought it was encryption. Solved by "pump -i eth1"

tom p
03-31-2005, 08:22 PM
If I understand the man page correctly, you should enter iwconfig wifi0 key [4] to make your key number 4 the active key. Maybe that's all what's missing?

Tom

rubic_cube
03-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I have used the wavelan setup and it does not work either, I've also tried iwconfig wifi0 key [4] but no success, besides, using that command you don't enter the encryption phrase, just the key number.
My configuration needs to contain the encryption phrase, using windows NT I set up a wireless client by entering the phrase into a profile, it should be similar no matter what Operating System is used.