PDA

View Full Version : Why still unstable 3.1.1 ?

MichielioZ
04-10-2003, 02:29 AM
I've tried remastering Knoppix from "scratch", but didn't really know what packages I could/couldn't remove to leave just the essentials and XFree4.3...
One thing I find to be quite strange is that Klaus is still working out bugs in his releases, while all the time that Knoppix 3.2 with KDE 3.1 is "alive", KDE 3.1.1 was/is available for "stable"...
Isn't it a good thing to try to keep most things optimzed for "stable" release ?
(can always add unstable exotic programs later...)
Knoppix is great, but I just want to know why he (Klaus) didn't do it from the beginning...
Just my 2 cents...

nicklaser
04-16-2003, 02:58 AM
I copied this from ftp.kde.ofg

README for KDE 3.1.1a for Debian Packages
-----------------------------------------

This README should give you some information about the Debian 3.0 (woody) packages
provided by KDE (by me for the purpose of helping KDE on Debian).

The primary intention is to provide the latest KDE releases to everyone relying on
the stability of a Debian release version.

Debian 3.0 (woody) Packages:
---------------------------

This release is provided in binary form for Intel i386 (and compatible) and IBM PowerPC
architectures. If you want to help supply builds for other architectures, feel free
to contact me by email.

Debian unstable (sid) Packages:
------------------------------

KDE 3.1.1 is already available in unstable. So if you want to go with unstable, you
don't have to use any KDE ftp or http mirror to obtain this KDE release; just use
the Debian mirrors and you're done.

Ralf Nolden, KDE <nolden@kde.org> Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:11:56 +0100