PDA

View Full Version : how to create bootable CD under knoppix 3.7?

ddrex
04-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Knoppix 3.7 provides K3B to write CDs. Pretty nifty tool but I can't see any way to make the CD bootable.

I've searched google extensively. All I can find on this is to use project->edit boot images however this does not make the CD bootable. It still creates a file system on the CD and installs the iso image as a file under /boot. Not useful.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

dd

Harry Kuhman
04-03-2005, 03:04 AM
You might want to tell us more about what you are trying to do. K3b certainly can burn bootable CDs; it can burn Knoppix after all. And we can all guess what type of a system Knoppix was created on. But making a bootable disk is a more complicated issue that just checking a box saying "make it bootable". If you give more information on what you want to do then others are more likely to be able to point you in the right direction.

ddrex
04-03-2005, 08:38 AM
You might want to tell us more about what you are trying to do. K3b certainly can burn bootable CDs; it can burn Knoppix after all. .

That's exactly what I was trying to do: burn a knoppix 3.8

I'm not trying to make K3b create a bootable CD. What I want is for K3b to write my iso image on the CD directly, as opposed to first creating a file system and copying the image file into it.

dd

Harry Kuhman
04-03-2005, 09:36 AM
You might want to tell us more about what you are trying to do. K3b certainly can burn bootable CDs; it can burn Knoppix after all. .That's exactly what I was trying to do: burn a knoppix 3.8 I think we have a case of RTFM here. A quick look at the man page showed me that there is a --isoimage switch, which I had little doubt of other than the exact name of the switch. Go to a shell and type man k3b at the prompt.

ddrex
04-03-2005, 04:29 PM
I think we have a case of RTFM here. A quick look at the man page showed me that there is a --isoimage switch, which I had little doubt of other than the exact name of the switch. Go to a shell and type man k3b at the prompt.

Just in case someone else asks this question, the correct answer turns out to be tools->cd->burn cd image

Thanks for your help.