PDA

View Full Version : intel network card setup?

moose_knoppix
04-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Hmmm so I got Knoppix running, now I have a Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter network card that allows me to access my cable internet through the router.

Knoppix won't seem to recognize my connection. I have seen that it recognizes the card by showing me eth0. But I use a DHCP server, and whenever I do that DHCP automatic setup it won't give me anything back. What could be causing the no internet connectivity?

The router perhaps?

Stephen
04-10-2003, 05:53 AM
If you are running from a hardrive check in /etc/network/interfaces and make sure you have the lines.

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

#Added by me for DHCP
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If they are not there add them and re-start the network (/etc/init.d/networking restart in a root console). DHCP is not enabled by default.

aay
04-10-2003, 05:59 AM
Hmm. According to this ('http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro100_dsktop.htm') your card should work fine so it most likely has to do with the way you are configuring things. You might want to check dmesg or do a lspci to be sure.

First question: Is the router set up to hand out addresses via DHCP. Might sound like a dumb question, but I don't won't to overlook something simple.

Second: Have you tried setting it up manually? If you have windows installed on the machine, you can just copy down all your network info and put it into netcardconfig. Then try pinging stuff and try pinging the machine.

Post back after you have set things up manually and let us know what's going on.

moose_knoppix
04-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Hmmm, strange enough all I did this morning was restart the computer with the knoppix in the drive and it just recognized the internet connection. alrite guys thanks for your help anyways.

that was strange.

aay
04-11-2003, 04:32 AM
It's a good thing when that's all it takes. Glad to hear it's working now.

RockMumbles
04-11-2003, 06:48 AM
I have problems all of the time at school getting a dhcp address from the schools windows 2000 dhcp server, actually redhat 7.3 would only get an address about 1/3 to 1/4 of the time. If I didn't get my network up I would retry and if I couldn't get an address assigned I would have to wait a while, reboot and hope. We have a lot of small power outages that reboot a computer that isn't on a UPS (which I didn't have for quite a while) so this was a major problem, I'd get to school and not have a networked computer so no printer.

I just installed Slackware 9.0 and it cannot get an address by dhcp from the windows server at school, in Slackware I can manually setup the networking and I can see other computers in the school network but I cannot access the internet. Debian and knoppix work almost all of the time as far as getting dhcp addresses from the school's server. The funny thing is, all of these same systems RedHat 7.3, Slackware, etc. always get a dhcp address from my linux routers (e-smith or freesco) at home so something is very different in the windows world of networking (especially dhcp).

rock