PDA

View Full Version : extremely new to linux

atonalnoise
04-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi, im trying to install Knoppix 3.7 to my hard disc but am having problems with passwords etc. In the root shell when I type "passwd" and it prompts me to enter one, nothing happens. However, when I use the CTRL/ALT/F2 command to get into "that other" screen (i dont know the lingo) and type passwd it allows me to enter one and accepts it. Problem is, I cant get back onto the desktop now, coulkd someone tell me the command please?

fingers99
04-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to do: are you trying to install Knoppix to HD (in which case, which kind of install are you doing?) or are you trying to do something (what, exactly?) in an HD installed Knoppix?

If you're trying to become root, passwd is irrelevant, you should be typing su

passwd is used to change user passwords. man passwd for details.

atonalnoise
04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
I really have no idea. Just need to know how to install onto a newly formatted drive that dosent have a swap partition. I dont know how to make one. Im really lost when you say stuff like "su", havent got a clue.

atonalnoise
04-03-2005, 05:55 PM
sorry bit tired. Yeah a fresh install onto a hard disk partitions to ext 2 (with no swap). Knoppix wont let me make one (says something about no dos something found).

tdjokic
04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
1. Put Knoppix CD in cdrom, reboot PC
2. After everything is up and OK, click on the monitor icon in Panel
3. Type su + Enter
4. Type cfdisk + Enter
5. Make one big partition, 3G or more, as /, make it bootable pressing Space on keyboard
6. Make one small partition, about 300 - 400MB, go to Type and use number 82 or 83, it will be swap
7. Go to option Write (partition to hdd)

Remember: until to this moment, there is now changes on hdd. you can change your mind and try again and again

8. Choose option "yes" + Enter, after message:
9. Reboot
10.Click on monitor icon
11.Type su + Enter
12. Type knx2hd or knoppix-installer and now you will be able to continue installation