PDA

View Full Version : knoppix won't boot

BloO
04-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I've burned Knoppix as a boot image onto a CD. When I try to boot, there's just a blank screen with the message "Missing Operating System." I already set the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, so I don't know what's wrong. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
04-04-2005, 12:53 AM
I've burned Knoppix as a boot image onto a CD. ....... "Missing Operating System." .... Several Thoughts:
Did you check the md5 sum of the iso? If not you're wasting your time and mine.

Did you burn the CD at a slow speed (4x, or 8x if your burning software will not let you go to 4x)?

You said you burned Knoppix as a boot image onto a CD but many people say that they burned the CD properly, only to have us find out later that they did not. This sounds like the most likely problem here. How about posting back exactly the steps you took oi burn the CD, starting at the iso, and including make and version number of your burning software and the steps you took using it.

You might also want to follow the documentation link at the top of the page and read the downloading faq.

BloO
04-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso off BitTorrent and I checked md5. To burn the CD I used a program called Sonic RecordNow!, Build:730B56C, Version:7.3. It probably isn't the best recording program but it came with my computer. I went to the "Data Disc" creation tab, clicked the create a bootable image button, and browsed for my iso file. I burned the CD at 8x speed.

Harry Kuhman
04-04-2005, 01:45 AM
... I went to the "Data Disc" creation tab, clicked the create a bootable image button, and browsed for my iso file. I burned the CD at 8x speed. Well, that was certainly the wrong way to use the burning software that you have. However, this has been discussed over and over again, including just yesterday in this same forum. Had you read the recent posts you would be in Knoppix by now. Here's a thread by someone else using the same software that you are using who finally figured out the right steps needed in Sonic to burn a working CD: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18038

BloO
04-04-2005, 01:56 AM
I actually did read that thread before I posted.
So I went back to RecordNow and pulled the 698MB file into the window. A promp showed up saying it was an image (obviously) and if I wasnted to create a CD containing what was in the image. I believe it opened it for me. I clicked yes and it started up instantly. So it had burned the real files to the CD, not just some ISO file. However, when I dragged the image into the window, no prompt showed up, so I would just be burning the iso file. I think I'll try a different burning program. Thanks though.

Harry Kuhman
04-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I actually did read that thread before I posted. .....
I haven't used the software so I have no first hand knowledge of it (I do have a HP notebook, but never even looked at the burning software that came with it, just loaded something I already owned that I knew worked and was not crippled). But the information on how to do the burn is apparently there in the post, although you may have to read through everything a few times carefully to catch it. One thing I can clearly see that you did wrong was select the option to make the disk bootable. If you burn the iso properly as a disk image it will end up being bootable, but if you do anything to tell software to make it bootable then you are not going to end up with what you want. Of course I can't argue with using other software, I use other software, but what you have can be made to work if you use it properly (and other software that you don't know can be used improperly too). If you have any 700 meg CDRW discs I would suggest using them until you have this worked out.

BloO
04-04-2005, 02:50 AM
I downloaded a trial version of Nero and it burned perfectly! :D Thanks for all your help.

Harry Kuhman
04-04-2005, 04:40 AM
I downloaded a trial version of Nero and it burned perfectly! :D Thanks for all your help. Glad you got it working. Curious results though for both you and dave932932. He couldn't get the Nero download to let him burn an ISO, went back to Sonic and found the right way to burn an ISO with it. You couldn't get Sonic to do it, but you had no problem finding the Nero feature that dave932932 couldn't find.