PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 CeBit: Resolving issues with USB storage devices

cleary
04-05-2005, 02:17 AM
I've just been doing a bit of testing with the Knoppix 3.8 CeBit 2005 edition, and I just thought I'd go over some of the problems I've had with USB storage devices.

New naming convention for USB storage
They are now referred to as ub[a-z] instead of the old sd[a-z] - this is basically where all the problems stem from.
I can't quite work out why it's been changed. Initially I had no experience with any distros using the 2.6 kernel, and figured the change was related to that. Except that I've now used the kubuntu hoary preview with the 2.6.10 kernel, and it still refers to the devices as sd[a-z]. I don't know the reasons behind the change, but it's certainly a more intuitive name than before (starts with a 'u' for usb), and it no longer has to share with sata disks.

Some specific issues as a result
There are a few scripts that are supposed to search for storage devices, generally matching entries in /etc/fstab. Unfortunately, these scripts don't seem to have been updated to include the new naming convention.

Example: /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
The "findfile" function which is called when you use the cheatcode myconfig=scan searches for existing knoppix configs on storage devices

findfile(){
for i in /mnt/[sh]d[a-z] /mnt/[sh]d[a-z][1-9] /mnt/[sh]d[a-z][1-9]?*; do
}

If I have a knoppix config file stored on my usb stick /dev/ub[a-z][1-9] then the code above will not find it.

It's a simple fix:

/mnt/[shu][db][a-z]
But I'm not sure how many different scripts reference the storage devices in this way.

Another I've found is /usr/sbin/saveconfig (run from K Menu -> KNOPPIX ->Configure -> Save Knoppix configuration)

# Directory selector
for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hs]d[a-z].*\/mnt\/[hs]d[a-z]/...

Wouldn't it be easier to use the old naming convention?
Not knowing the reasons behind the change, I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to me :)

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments/insights?

RamBo-ZamBo
04-06-2005, 12:42 AM
this is probably why i cant use the saveconfig script. i used to save my configuration on my usb stick now that does not work anymore. saveconfig only asks me to put it on a floppy disk, my usb stick does not appear in the list anymore as it did in knoppix 3.7. unfortunatly this makes knoppix 3.8 completly useless to me.

is there anyway to fix that issue? unfotunatly i dont know anything about linux :(

bye

cleary
04-06-2005, 12:50 AM
You'll need to remaster the iso I guess.
Have a look at this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867&highlight=remaster

It's not difficult to do, but it is a bit difficult to understand what you're actually doing. If you just go through the guide, and get it working then you can get a grip on what's happening, then be a bit more adventurous (and change the scripts I mentioned above so they work :wink: )

RamBo-ZamBo
04-06-2005, 01:15 AM
hm very complicated. since it is only one script, cant i fix it and save it on my usb stick? i dont have enough knowledge and time to do it the other way.

thx for your help!

cleary
04-06-2005, 01:34 AM
The quickest and dirtiest solution is to:
1. As root, edit the /usr/sbin/saveconfig script while booted to the livecd
2. Make the following changes (additions are underlined and bold)

# Directory selector
for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hsu][db][a-z].*\/mnt\/[hsu][db][a-z]/...

3. Save the file and go through your save config process like normal (your usb device should now be available to select)

4. When you reboot, you will have to explicitly state the location of the backed up config
ie instead of using the cheatcode myconfig=scan, use myconfig=/dev/uba1 (or wherever your config is stored)

That'll work :)

RamBo-ZamBo
04-06-2005, 01:44 AM
yeah thats more like my solution. dont care if its dirty! how can i log on as root?

thx :)

cleary
04-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Open up a konsole terminal, and type
sudo vi /usr/sbin/saveconfig

The sudo command tells it to run the following program with Super User (ie root) privileges.
vi is a command line text editor that can be a bit difficult to get started with, but is worth learning the basics for.
/usr/sbin/saveconfig is of course, the file you want to edit.

Very quick and dirty vi tutorial:
Type i to change to 'INSERT' mode (ie a mode where you can edit the text like a normal text editor)
Make your changes
Type Esc (ie the esc key) to exit INSERT mode
Type :wq to Write the changes to disk (ie save them), and Quit

If you get stuck and confused and your file looks totally buggered, then
Hit the Esc key a few times
Type :q! to force quit without writing any changes, and go through the steps above again :)

For a less quick and dirty vi tutorial, try http://acs.ucsd.edu/info/vi_tutorial.php

RamBo-ZamBo
04-06-2005, 02:49 AM
i think it worked! thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!

bye :)

rgarden
04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I also have a usb stick on which I store my config file. For some reason when running off the HD using the FromHD cheatcode, my printer config won't save to my Persistent Home Directory, and so I have to use the Save config option to save and restore the Printer config. I'm not using 3.8 Cebit because my Save Config screen won't show either SDA1 or UBA1. Also, 3.8Cebit came out just as KDE was releasing the KDE 3.4 desktop, and I'll wait for that before I upgrade. I already have Firfox set up in my Persistent Home directory to relace the old Mozilla Browser on 3.7,and I've also added Kaffeine as my CD player, so I'm pretty happy with the setup. :lol: