PDA

View Full Version : Problem after attempted install to external USB-Harddisk

ned
04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi everybody,

I hope this is the right section ... had a very well working Debian-like HD-install of Knoppix 3.7 dual-boot with XP ...

then I tried - booting from CD - to install it to an external USB-Harddisk, too, with following results:
not only the external HD doesn't boot, but my previously installed Knoppix (on /dev/hda, the main, internal harddisk) also refuses to boot ...
actually it does come up allright, but at some point it starts to complain about "can't write to read-only filesystem" and just stops ...

Has anybody come across a similar situation or any idea, what's going on and if there is any remedy?
Re-Installation is always possible, of course, but one of the main reasons I'm using Linux is that I'm trying to understand a little what's happening here, so I'd first like to find out if there is another possibility ... Googling was not much help upto now, maybe I didn't find the right words ...

What I'm surprised about is that somehow booting from the Knoppix-CD apparently *did* affect something on my harddrive in this special situation, which I thought wasn't possible; I also especially had _not_ mounted the HD-installed partitions at that time.
Yes - I did one thing - I allowed the CD-Knoppix, and the to-be-intalled USB-HD-Knoppix to use the already installed swap partition on /dev/hda - could that have been the culprit? Can't imagine why ...