PDA

View Full Version : i think i messed up windows...

rossndahood
04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
i was tring to install knoppix to my hd. i had to partin my hd though so the program opened up an i make my hd a FAT32 type instead of a NTFS. so i rebooted my computer an windows wont start up. so now i have no clue what to do. i am on knoppix right now but my mom will be pretty angry when she finds out that i cant boot windows.

help please
thanks

eco2geek
04-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Are you saying that you reformatted your entire NTFS partition as FAT32 with QTParted? Or did you just resize your NTFS partition and create a separate FAT32 partition?

Because, if you reformatted your entire NTFS partition as FAT32 with QTParted, you just wiped out everything on it. In other words, Windows, and all your mom's programs and data, are toast.

Resizing partitions in order to make free space can be done with QTParted without data loss (knock on wood).

On the other hand, reformatting completely wipes out data. (You can convert between FAT, FAT32, and NTFS losslessly using the [non-free] utility PartitionMagic. You can also do a one-way FAT32 --> NTFS conversion using Win2K and XP's command-line "convert" program.)

rossndahood
04-06-2005, 12:43 PM
oh ok then i guess. i saved all the files before i did it so that'll be alright. does this mean that i can re-install windows on that hd?

fingers99
04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
does this mean that i can re-install windows on that hd?

Yes. ;-)

rossndahood
04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
ok thanks, you were a big help... too bad i didnt know what i was doing heh :roll: