PDA

View Full Version : Login Issues

Kowood
04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Ok, so I've got Kanotix Bug Hunter X Fix 2 installed Debian-style, and yesterday I felt like installing Blender. So I logged in as root, installed Blender, and then logged back out. When I tried to log in as user, the screen went black for a second, and then just went back to the login screen. I tried the console login, but then it gave me the whole "couldn't connect to x-server" bullshit, so I couldn't start KDE or run any programs. A friend told me to restart the login manager....But I don't know which one it is.

eon
04-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok, so I've got Kanotix Bug Hunter X Fix 2 installed Debian-style, and yesterday I felt like installing Blender. So I logged in as root, installed Blender, and then logged back out. When I tried to log in as user, the screen went black for a second, and then just went back to the login screen. I tried the console login, but then it gave me the whole "couldn't connect to x-server" bullshit, so I couldn't start KDE or run any programs. A friend told me to restart the login manager....But I don't know which one it is.

"couldn't connect to x-server" is the systems way of saying your x-server is toast.
Well, it could be alot of things but what does the command "startx" produce?

Something may have happened during the blender install that caused problems with
the xfree config or permissions. How exactly did you install blender-by using apt-get
or some other way?

eco2geek
04-07-2005, 04:11 AM
What they probably meant was simply to go to a console window (Ctrl+Alt+F1), type "init 3" (which will shut down X and KDM), then type "init 5" (which will restart X and KDM).

KDM is Kanotix's default login manager.

Kowood
04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
How exactly did you install blender-by using apt-get
or some other way? I downloaded the .tar.gz file from the Blender site (my winmodem doesn't have any known Linux support, so I have to dl in Windows), and used Alien in Linux to convert it to a debian package. Then I used dpkg -i to install the package.

eon
04-08-2005, 12:56 AM
What they probably meant was simply to go to a console window (Ctrl+Alt+F1), type "init 3" (which will shut down X and KDM), then type "init 5" (which will restart X and KDM).

KDM is Kanotix's default login manager.

Huh? The orginal poster stated he couldn't get x started.
If he types "startx" at the console he will get back some output
from the system as to why the x-server is failing.

eco2geek
04-08-2005, 06:46 AM
"Huh?" yourself.

Kowood, does

When I tried to log in as user, the screen went black for a second, and then just went back to the login screen.

mean that you go back to the graphical login manager, or can you only get to a console? I understood "login screen" to mean the graphical login manager. If that is not the case, I apologize, I misunderstood you.

If there is a way you can uninstall the package you installed, there is a blender package (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/blender) available for Debian Sid (currently v2.36), and you can download the deb file here (http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/blender/blender_2.36-1_i386.deb).

Kowood
04-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Yeah, it's graphical. I uninstalled the package, and did some other stuff. I just made a different thread on it, because I thought this one was dead. :P

Kowood
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok, the reason X is failing is because (under user, root works fine) it couldn't write to /tmp. I went through /tmp and made every single file readable and writable to all users, but it still didn't work, and gave me the same message.

UnderScore
04-20-2005, 08:56 PM
as root:
chmod 1777 /tmp

Kowood
04-20-2005, 09:32 PM
chmod 1777 /tmp didn't help. could it be kdm? i'm going to try gnome. i would do a KDE upgrade, but i can't install my modem drivers without WINE, which can't be configured in root.

Kowood
04-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Can't figure out how to download Gnome in Windows...I'm going to make a thread about the modem problem.

eon
04-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Can't figure out how to download Gnome in Windows...I'm going to make a thread about the modem problem.

You might want to check out this link for building gnome: http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/
As for your modem issue have you gone to www.linmodem.org ?

Lurchy
05-05-2005, 01:41 PM
ok i install knoppixs sweet from cd and everythings working (lucky me) and i would like to know how to get gnome to boot up first to login screen

i have gnome isntalled but it keeps wanting to goto and loadup kde and user knoppixs can anyone help me?