PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix inside VMware running on WinXP

upazupa
04-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi!
I use knoppix boot from VMware using the .iso (image file), but i would like to tranfer some files from knoppix to windows and from windows to knoppix, like documents and .c files, and i don't know how..
i can't mount floppy or cdrom.

I would like help.
Thank You

Harry Kuhman
04-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Knoppix can read your Windows partitions, so you should have no problem getting a file to Knoppix (I have no idea why you can't mount a floppy though). Getting the files back to Windows may be more of an issue. It depends on the type of a partition. If you have NTFS partitions (default for XP) then you can not write to them with Knoppix, you will corupt them. If you have (or can make) a FAT partition (default for Win98 and most other versions of windows) then you can mount the partition as read/write (although the normal default is read only for safety reasons) and then you can write the files safely and get them from Windows. Or, if you have a network you can send the files from Knoppix to another system (Windows or Linux) and pick the up again when Windows is rebooted).

Dave_Bechtel
04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
--See this thread on how to start up a Knoppix FTP server:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17722&highlight=

Hi!
I use knoppix boot from VMware using the .iso (image file), but i would like to tranfer some files from knoppix to windows and from windows to knoppix, like documents and .c files, and i don't know how..
i can't mount floppy or cdrom.

I would like help.
Thank You