PDA

View Full Version : klik and linspire 5.0

obo
04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
for linspire 5.0 :
Linspire 5.0 ONLY: /usr/bin/apt-get -fsu -o Dir::Etc=/var/cache/cnrclient/apt -o Dir::State::lists=/var/cache/cnrclient/lists/ -o Dpkg::Options::force=--force-confnew,confmiss -o Dir::Cache=/var/cache/cnrclient -o Dpkg::Options::force=--force-confnew,confmiss -o APT::Cache-Limit=50000000 install cramfsprogs

could anyone translate this in a step-by-step for a linux/linspire beginner ?

thanks in adnace

probono
04-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Please make sure that you have the package "cramfsprogs" installed. I don't have a Linspire 5.0 system at hand at the moment, but "cramfsprogs" should be either part of the basic install or should be available from their CNR warehouse.

Please post here (along with detailed error message) if you encounter any problems using klik with Linspire and we'll try to resolve them.

Greetings,
probono

obo
04-09-2005, 12:12 PM
thanks probono,
if you don't mind I go step-by-step. A search did not find "cramfsprogs". After installing Firefox (good instructions from
http://www.paulcull.org/los/en/resources.htm ), I pressed Alt-F2 and pasted "wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh". After several screens with instructions and oks, the message (approx) came "you can now download with "klik". So I downloaded "cramfsprogs" , which appeared in file:/tmp/klik/cramfsprogs : opt, usr, AppInfo.xml, AppRun, klik.log, wrapper.
After this how to go on ?
Please explain the lines in my first post : /usr/bin...etc : what to use in a console , when to make a directory (Dir:: ?)

My thanks for your efforts. From my side, I will explain my successes and failures in detail.

probono
04-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi, I've got myself a copy of Linspire Five-0 final now and was happy to see that cramfsprogs is now part of Linspire by default, so you can simply ignore the information regarding it (I have deleted it from the klik documentation as well).

Simply install the klik client as described, and run as root the file klik has placed inside your home directory (you can delete it afterwards). Then klik works in Linspire (quite well actually).

klik places newly installed applications on your desktop, but you are free to move them anywhere afterwards. And remember, since klik is totally independent of apt-get, it will not interfere with Linspire's CNR at all.

Greetings,
probono

Bicol_Willem
04-18-2005, 05:12 AM
I am experimenting a bit with Klik running Linspire Five-O and I do like the idea.
Its a bit weird though that the programs are been stored in /tmp (/tmp/klik). That means at reboot ...... well, I guess you know! We got to place things somewhere else before reboot.

The program Apollon doesn't work, it comes with a error:

Connection error
The giFT daemon, which is responsible for connecting to the various networks, appears to be down and I don't seem to able to start it.
Probably your giFT installation is corrupted. Try starting giFT manually by typing "giftd" on the command line. If this gives errors, there's likely some internal error in giFT or in your giFT configuration. Refer to the giFT homepage at http://giftproject.org for help.

Duno what's wrong but no go "out of the box" under Linspire Five-O for this one.

probono
04-18-2005, 12:43 PM
The files inside /tmp/klik are needed temporary only and can be deleted after the successful creation of the cmg file on your desktop. You only need the cmg file in order to run the application.

Maybe apollon is currently not compatible yet with Linspire, so try klik://xvier in order to verify that kllik itself runs on your Linspire installation. Please post back how it went.

Greetings,
probono

Bicol_Willem
04-19-2005, 12:43 AM
O I C that prgrams in /tmp/klik are not needed ..... (interesting!) :D

Yes other programs like xvier and tuxpuck do work well. I found also out that when I organize these .cmg files in a folder, they wont fire up. I got to bring the program I like to use back to the desktop before it runs. Not a big deal (if one knows).

One more thing one need to know running Linspire is the fact that klik doesn't run within the standard LIS (Linspire Internet Suite, aka Mozilla). It runs in the browser normally used in Linspire as file manager: Konqueror.

It is just .... that Apolon thingy that doesn't work.

probono
04-19-2005, 08:17 AM
cmg files should run from any location, not just from the desktop. You could place them into /opt for example. Making cmg files freely movable was one main design goal. Just make sure the directory name does not contain special characters such as spaces.

As for Apollon, it probably misses one symlink, this should be rather easy to fix. I will investigate it over the weekend.

Bicol_Willem
04-19-2005, 10:01 AM
You're so right!

My folder in use was "Klik Programs". Changing this to "Klik-Programs" made all work.

Good show :D