PDA

View Full Version : HDD install changes active partition??

clarjon1
04-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Hello, I am using knoppix on a secondary partition, but when I use it, I have to set the active partition to the proper partition before I can boot. What is going on? Is there a fix? Any help would be appreciated, as some people don't appreciate DOS much...
:x

mr_ed
04-09-2005, 05:47 AM
DOS?

More information about your system would help. How did you install Knoppix? Do you use a bootloader like LILO or GrUB or the one that comes with XP? What partitions are on your hard drive, and what's installed on them?

-- Ed

jjmac
04-09-2005, 08:11 AM
clarjonl ...

Hi,

Yes more info please. Could you just go to your bios, key "F1" or "del" during the initial boot. And change the sequence to look for a cdrom boot first. Or use Smart Boot Manager copied to a floppy if that dosen't work, and boot the cd via the floppy.

And post the output of ...

]# cfdisk -Pt /dev/hda

Please put "code tages arount the output so it's more readable too ...

If you hover your curser above the "code" button ontop of the submit edit box, it will describe it self.

>>
Hello, I am using knoppix on a secondary partition,
>>

I'll guess ... An extended-logical ???

>>
but when I use it, I have to set the active partition to the proper partition before I can boot.
>>

I'll guess ... Your first primary, probably windows. That makes no sense ???

>>
What is going on? Is there a fix?
>>

If you can post the above, people will be able to tell whats where by the filesystem id numbers. So yep, there probably is a fix.

jm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~