PDA

View Full Version : Overclockix 3.8 released

arkaine23
04-08-2005, 01:24 AM
http://overclockix.octeams.com/ocix38.jpg
This pic is of the chroot environment, which is to say I haven't recompressed it or built the iso (and that's why some of superkaramba's data is empty). I still have work to do configuring fluxbox and icewm.

!!!New!!! - You'll be able to edit just about every file and install/remove software while running from CD thanks to unionfs. Changes would not be saved across a reboot of course without a little extra work and HDD space....

Get it Here (http://overclockix.octeams.com)
Highlights

By no means is this a complete list of what's been added.

UI's- KDE 3.4 | icewm | wmaker | fluxbox

2.6.11 kernel (support for lots of wireless cards added)
chntpw (windows password-changer and registry editor)
smarter folding service (up to 8 clients auto-generated)
folding log webpage generator (see folding@home info)
boinc
mprime
cpuburn
memtest86
cpudyn (for mobile cpu's)
powertweak
prelink (use prelink -amR regularly)
lm-sensors
gkrellm
ksensors
bonnie++
nvclock
zsplit & unzsplit
j2re 5.0
flash/java/vlc/acroread/mplayer mozilla-firefox plugins
firefox (tweaked a little for speed)
thunderbird
openoffice
gimp
unionfs (allows writing to entire filesystem when booted live)
ndis-wrapper
captive-ntfs (2.6.11 is supposed to have safe ntfs writing support, but I tossed this in anyway, it will not work until a new patch comes out however)
mplayer & w32codecs
vlc
gftp & ncftp
mldonkey-gui
extra truetype fonts
bittornado
new themes/styles/window decorations (new look is slick)
New kspalsh, openoffice spalsh
superkaramba & themes
kweather
filelight (this is a neat gui disk useage display)
New service menus (managing iso's, run as root, edit as root, scan with f-prot)
f-prot (virus-scanner)
updated to newest packages (unstable)
preconfigured samba shares (root and home)
smb4k (samba browser)
knemo (network monitor)
synaptic (package manager GUI)
nano (easy text editor)
silver xcursors
nxclient (remote x server/client)
rdesktop (Windows remote desktop client)
vnc server and client
konsolewrap (displays working directory on konsole buttons)
bibletime
john (password cracker)
webmin
wine

arkaine23
04-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Looks like one major bug slipped under the radar. For those who d/l'ed on 04-07-05, please try again. The links are removed for now, but the iso will be available by 7:30 PM EST on 04-08-05.

harryhood
04-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Is the md5sum on the Overclockix site correct? I just finished getting the torrent this afternoon
and the md5 doesn't match. But it seems to work fine so far. This is my first ever attempt with
Linux and it's great! Thanks Arkaine!!

arkaine23
04-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks! Replaced the old md5sum with the correct one.

harryhood
04-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I've posted the iso on emule today with the md5 so those without BT can grab it. BT really slows
down my PC sometimes.

poppe
04-12-2005, 07:40 AM
I have been looking for an http download of Overclockix. The reason why is because at my work I have a T1 connection. I can download a 700MB iso image in less than 1 hour 30 minutes with http. However, when I use a bti torrent client to get Overclockix, the download crawls because there aren't enough seeders. Also, I can't just leave the download running when I leave as the computer I use isn't mine. I just use it because I can burn CD's on that machine. Please help, I am mainly interested in Overclockix as I am a PC Technician and I am interested in the diagnostic features Overclockix has.

poppe
04-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey everyone, I got me a copy of Overclockix 3.8 today from the Torrent. Thanks anyways.[/img]

Maud_Dib
07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Does Overclockix use the same boot Cheatcodes as Knoppix ?
Thanks
Larry

UnderScore
07-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Does Overclockix use the same boot Cheatcodes as Knoppix ?
Thanks
LarryOverclockix should use the same cheat codes. Most Knoppix derivatives use the same cheat codes.

valexvo
08-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi all,
I have downloaded A copy of Overclockix 3.8 (md5 ok) , I burn it on cd , but when I boot it stop when loading KDE at 3th icon: no errors, no freeze ( mouse working ), but no HDD and CD activities.
Same results on 2 PC , work only on VmWare.
Can someboby help me?
Can be that because I boot from a DVD drive?
Thanks
regards
alex

Harry Kuhman
08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Can be that because I boot from a DVD drive?
I boot from a DVD drive most of the time (DVD is the only optical drive on my notebook and the primary optical drive on my main desktop), and have no such problems.

I suspect you may need one or more "cheat codes" to resolve your booting isues. You say you did do the md5 check; great. I hope that implies that you have read the downloading faq and have also done your burn at a slow speed. If so you may also wish to try the testcd cheat code, just to be safe.

arkaine23
08-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Seems to work for some and not others. Odd.

Well then how about this-

Get 3.79 here. This one lacks unionfs and has slightly older kernels (2.4.27 and 2.6.9) but looks the same and has ther newest software like kde 3.4.2 and openoffice 2.0. Get it here- Link (http://overclockix.octeams.com) You'll need bittorrent.

Time for a new Overclockix iso! I call this one 3.79 (overdozed), and its basically 3.7 combined with LTSP 2.1, plus all of the look and new software from 3.8, but none of the bugs. So the kernels' (2.4.27 & 2.6.9) are not quite the newest, but then again, that allows for captive-ntfs work well. There's no Unionfs, but unionfs has still got some problems.

Highlights:

KDE 3.4.2
OpenOffice 2.0 beta

Multimedia: kino - a video editor, mplayer & w32codecs, xine, ogle, dvdrip, k3b, xmms, audacity, ripperX, gimp 2.2

WEB/Internet: nvu- a wysiwyg web dev editor, firestarter- firewall, bittornado, xchat, gaim, gnomemeeting, firefox (with flash, java, mplayer plugins ), ethereal, ndiswrapper, knemo, kismet, gftp, ncftp, knode, kismet, airsnort

OCer Tools: lm-sensors, rovclock & nvclock- for overclocking video cards, cpuburn, folding@home, boinc, cpuburn, memtest, prime, bonnie++, gkrellm, qemu, radeon and nvidia driver install scripts (for ppl who install it to hdd), filelight- graphical disk useage viewer

GUI stuff- superkaramba + themes, konqueror metabar, AKDC & crystal kwin decos, crystal kwin deco, noia icons, exquisite icons, new moodin splash engine and ksplashes, metal4kde style, silver xcursors (also included alternate blue, gold, onyx, and iron cursor themes), non-standard k3b & openoffice splashscreens, custom kside menu bar, silver firefox theme
plus a ton of other cool stuff.

Same screenshot as in the first post.

CytoTech
09-15-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm having problems with torrent at work so it tried to look for isos around, and so I found an iso link here: http://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucions/knoppix-remaster/overclockix/