PDA

View Full Version : fglrx installation

splittik
04-08-2005, 10:28 PM
First of all you should get your kernel sources ready. Unless you have them installed already do so now (use apt-get for that). Debian doesn't automaticaly unpact kernel sources, so you have to do it yourself:

* cd /usr/src
* tar xjvf kernel-source-2.X.X.tar.bz2 #substitute with your kernel sources
* ln -s kernel-source-2.X.X linux #this way you will link your new sources with the expected sources directory. If /usr/src/linux exists you can delete the link: rm /usr/src/linux

Now we will make sure our sources are configured to the working kernel:

* cp /boot/config-2.X.X-Y-YYY .config #change this according to your kernel version and config name
* Now you need to edit the make file. Use your favourite text editor.Change the EXTRAVERSION in the file to ``-Y-YYY''
* make oldconfig
* make dep (in 2.4 kernel) OR make prepare (in 2.6 kernel)
* ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.X.X-Y-YYY/build #this will link the modules to the right directory. Again make sure you change the path to your kernel version

Next, we will convert the ATI rpm to deb. To do this you will need alien. Use apt-get to get it. Once you have it run the following command:

* alien /directory/subdirectory/ati-driver.rpm #this will create a .deb file in the directory you are currently in

11.3 Installing the drivers

Now we will use the .deb file we created earlier:

* dpkg -i ati-driver.deb #you may have to use some of the -force options to get it to install (conflicts with libglx). Use ``dpkg -help'' for more info.

Once the drivers are installed, you will have to build the module. Look at the ``Building the module'' in the Common steps part of the HowTo.

12.2 Building the module

If you changed anything about the kernel, since you last installed the driver, you should run the following commands. You should make sure your agpgart modules (if you are using the external agpgart) are loaded.

* cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod #(change directory to where our task lies)
* sh make.sh #(gathering kernel information)
* cd /lib/modules/fglrx/ #(change directory to where out second task lies)
* sh make_install.sh #(configuring the the driver to our kernel)

I found this Howto, for installing the fglrx driver for my video card, since installing it normally doesn't do anything. I get it to the point where it says

* Now you need to edit the make file. Use your favourite text editor.Change the EXTRAVERSION in the file to ``-Y-YYY''
* make oldconfig
* make dep (in 2.4 kernel) OR make prepare (in 2.6 kernel)
* ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.X.X-Y-YYY/build #this will link the modules to the right directory. Again make sure you change the path to your kernel version
What does it mean by Y-YYY when i'm editing the make file. The arch(i386) or the kernel version(2.6.11)? In the file at the top it has

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 6
SUBLEVEL = 11
EXTRAVERSION =
NAME=Woozy Numbat and then it refers to EXTRAVERSION a couple more time in the file. Do i erase EXTRAVERSION completely in all the times it says it? or do i just put something beside "EXTRAVERSION =" and what do i put?